Questions of Site Use

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by lhuget, Jan 9, 2008.

1. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

I found the Forum Charter but haven't found anything for dummy me about day-to-day interaction.

Questions:
    1. I have a feeling because we all have different first languages that we do not use slang or internet jargon/acronyms?
    2. Is bumping allowed if a person from a specific zone/country is on line where you have a related question or is the practice to send them a personal message?
    3. Are there any other practices as a UBCBG Forum newbie I should be aware of?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello lhuget,

1. That is a good feeling. Slang and abbreviations are not prohibited (unless they are pejorative terms), but they can easily be misunderstood on an international forum. The most common internet or print media abbreviations will be understoood, but posts written like a text message with no punctuation frustrate a lot of people.

2. In this case asking the question in the existing thread would 'bump' the thread anyway, but if you have a specific question of someone else on the forums, you can send them a private message if they allow it. In general I would avoid taking conversation off the forums unless it is of a personal nature or you want to call someone's attention to a post they might have missed. Experts give freely to the forums for the education of all.

3. I would just say keep the conversation on the positive side. Don't be afraid to disagree with others, but be prepared to back up your argument. If someone corrects you or questions you, don't take it personally. We are all learning here.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: number 2 - it doesn't make too much sense to bump a post because you see someone on the forums, because most people either use the new posts feature or visit specific areas of the forums anyway. Bumping a post just puts it at the top of the listing, and I think that's really only necessary if a question hasn't been addressed after 24 hrs.

4. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

Thanks Eric and Daniel. Now my new question is where do I find the new posts feature? Sorry but I'm not very techie. Maybe I missed one of the great notes you have posted?

Les

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

6. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

O thanks so much Ron B. That helps me so much. I know many people who can contribute so much who like me are not very apt at site technology. Also any help that any one can give on simple site use will open a fabulous door to elders who have a wealth of knowledge, experience and history to share but limited computer skills. Thanks again.

Les