Question on drainage (container veggies)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Freyja, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Freyja

Freyja Active Member

I noticed my containers for my veggies were staining my deck terribly from the drainage (even though the pots were set up on those "pot feet" off the deck). So I bought some trays to catch the water underneath.

My question is, does this decrease the drainage, by having the pots sit in these trays of water, or is it better for the veggies because they soak up the overflow eventually?

Thanks!

2. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

Keep an eye on the amount of water in the tray. If your soil drains really well, it will be good for the plants as it allows them the chance to soak up some of that water that ran right past the roots. You want to make sure though that the plants don't just sit continually in water, else you may have problems.

You may have to adjust your watering schedule slightly. Next time you water, give it enough so that you have liquid in the tray and then watch to see how long it takes to soak it up. If the plant sucks it back up immediately...give it some more. If however the water just sits in the tray for an extended period...cut back on the water.

After observing a few waterings, you should be able to figure out a good schedule and I think your plants will be happy.