Prunus serrula

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Greg Tener, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Greg Tener

Greg Tener New Member

Not sure if I’m allowed to ask this question, and apologies if I am not, but does anyone know where I can purchase a Prunus Serrula?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sourcing plants questions are fine -- in fact, it is one of the few times that we permit commercial nurseries to advertise that they have the plant someone is looking for (as we generally try to keep commercial stuff off the forums)

3. Greg Tener

Greg Tener New Member

Thanks Daniel, hopefully someone will respond to my question.

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Have you tried Art's Nursery in Surrey? They mention Prunus serrulata 'Kwanzan' on their website: Prunus serrulata 'Kwanzan
    This may not be the best time of year to find one in stock because garden centres generally try to whittle down their inventories at this time of year.

You may be able to order one for spring. 604.882.1201 If no luck with Art's, try one of the other local garden centres. Prunus serrulata cultivars seem very popular.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Prunus serrula is the birch bark cherry, a species cherry, not a cultivar, and it's generally planted for its bark and not for its tiny white flowers. Still, the advice to call around to nurseries seems reasonable.
    I'm going to move this to the Ornamental Cherries forum, not that I think it will get any more notice there. I've seen relatively young ones planted - they must be coming from somewhere.

6. Greg Tener

Greg Tener New Member

It’s common name is Tibetan Cherry. It is often multi stemmed and, yes, has beautiful red peeling bark. This is why I would like it.