Pruning: Pruning an Ozakazuki

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Otto Bjornson, May 23, 2022.

1. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

I created this video this morning. I let the Ozakazuki get really thick with foilage before starting this video. We transplanted from a container into the garden last spring. This spring with the roots fully established, the growth rate is quite rapid.
    I generally use the same approach when pruning. always taking off the young shoots by hand, then onto the trimmers to finish thing off

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    AlainK, ChrisUk and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Enjoyed the informative video Otto. I find Osakazuki can put out an amazing amount of growth also. Have to give it a Summer prune every year.

AlainK and Otto Bjornson like this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Not too long, not to wordy, but very informative as usual : it's always a pleasure to watch your videos Otto.

Here, there would be a second flush, the summer now ends at the end of October, mid, or even late November...

There are at least two that I will prune : a 'Beni maiko' and a 'Summer Gold'. I don't know the kind of fertilizers they use, but the growth is spectacular.

Otto Bjornson likes this.