Propagating wandering jew

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mfederico, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Mfederico

Mfederico Member

How much of the healthy part of the WJ do you cut off, to start new roots? And how much of the cold can it withstand? I have this WJ that is dying or at least it looks unhealthy from the top (closer to the soil), but towards the ends it looks healthy. I have it near a window and it gets sun, but it's also cold outside. During the summer it looks so pretty and luscious with its purple leaves....Can someone please help me.....
    Mfederico, from Indiana

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Re: How to Care for Wandering Jew

Given that mine grows like weeds and is outside I would say break off a good piece and either stick it in water or a potting mix it will take off again. The stuff is indestructable.

I have never grown it in pots but I do know that if I leave any of it lying on soil it will take root and keep going.

Liz

3. Sabine

Sabine Active Member

It is good news to me to hear that it is so easy to propagate - one of my cats knocked a whole piece off, and I didn't want to lose it, so I just stuck the end in a glass of water before I left for work. So it sounds like if I replant it it will root? Is it really that easy?

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

wandering jews are the easiest plants to root .. it will root withing 2 to 3 days .. gauranteed ..lol.. they are almost as bad as a weed .. but a pretty one .. :)

Marion

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

yes, very easy to propagate this plant. Cuttings root practically overnight!

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

all of the wandering jews root very, very easily!! which is a big plus since they don't seem to do so well inside in the winter here. it's ability to quickly root makes it easy to do cuttings and have that planter looking full again in no time!

you can do cuttings anywhere from a couple of inches on up. there should be at least two sets of leaves on the piece.

if the parts in the planter near the soil are looking scraggly, then it's probably not getting enough sun and might even be a bit low on water. the sun is at a lower angle in the winter and the basket may need to be lowered a bit - and then raised up again once the warmer weather hits and the sun is back up in the higher position in the sky.