Post a peek of yourself here...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

A nice surprise today - my first 'Tennessee Cheese' sweet pepper plant ripening in my living room window! The peppers are said to be as sweet as candy! I am so excited to taste it in a couple days.

Of course too, I will collect the seeds inside the fruit, so I can grow many more in the future. Especially if they're as good as they are bragged to be...

: )

Attached Files:

2. burdan54

burdan54 Member

The "glads" were grown from seed a couple of years ago. The tall flowers have taken over my bed in the front of my house forcing me to pull most of them out. Next year I am guessing I will have about 30 of these blooming and full of flowers.

Thanks for keeping it "straight forward". LOL

3. The Hollyberry Lady

Just took these shots a few minutes ago, of my seed grown 'Jerusalem Cherry' plant, grown indoors.

Although it is poisonous, it's extremely ornamental and appealing...

Attached Files:

4. SanDiegoLarry

SanDiegoLarry Member

This is a great idea! I'm Larry, a software engineer from San Diego. My wife and I used to garden in NE Connecticut, but now we are starting over in sunny Southern California USDA Zone 10! It's a little different...

Attached Files:

5. The Hollyberry Lady

Welcome, SanDiegoLarry. Thanks for sharing your picture. Nice to see you.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

6. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Are you Canadian originated if I may ask ?

7. WillandLynn

WillandLynn Member

Hi,
    Three recent pics from our adventures. The logs in the third picture were pretty trippy if you examine them closely, made an excellent 'smore.

Attached Files:

8. vicarious1

Hello Larry. Welcome ..so do you get the morning fog in San Diego? :-).. What kind of software do you design? I wish I could. I am more of a end user and love 3D and have several Ideas that If with the righ software design could be very novel. Well maybe there are gardening oriented software ideas in your mind :-). I was looking at my Kale the other day and thought it would make AB FAB trees if they could reach tree hights...but making one in 3D would great I will be trying . Regards from sunny and California like Vancouver .

9. vicarious1

What is "SMORE" if I may ask.

10. WillandLynn

WillandLynn Member

Hi Vic,
    Glad you enjoyed the pictures Vic. A 'Smore is (as I had my first one last night), a fire-toasted marshmallow, a chocolate bar, we used a toasted-almond variety, sandwiched between to graham cracker cookies. I must say TOTAL SUGAR RUSH, but, INCREDIBLE! Google it, first recipe is from 1920's Girlscout cookbook. Sweet Vic:)
    By the way I enjoyed the pics of you and yer partner earlier, plus the one's of your homestead, reminded me of my house.

Attached Files:

11. The Hollyberry Lady

What a nice surprise this morning to see more of my lilies blooming!

This type is just beginning to open and it's called, 'cappuccino'...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  12. vicarious1

Very nice. I only have ONE Lilly of yours making a seedling that is like 0.5mm only by now
    Your grass is now 2inch tall I moved 2 for each pot so have 3pots .
    Question:
    Can it take FULL SUN when it is so small?
    Now it only gets late afternoon sunshine in the day it is under an umbrella.

One thing grows like GRASS but I don't know what it will be :-)?

Your Water lilly 1st leaf looks a bit spotted why I don't know
    the 2nd leaf just surfaced and a 3rd is on the way. That is GRRReat :-)
    But how large will they get ? Now they are about 1inch across only.

Attached Files:

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, the blackberry lilies only like shade and they look like grass, but the ornamental grass should do well in sunshine, even as a young seedling. The Nelumbo looks like it's sending up some more shoots - a good sign.

Good luck.

14. vicarious1

Ok but how about the SPOTS on the leaf ? Ok will move the grass to the sunshine . Thank's.

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Don't worry about that leaf, just let it die but don't pull it off. The new one coming looks healthy and normal. I have leaves die all the time, so don't worry. I think it will be just fine.

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Well, my little 'musa basjoo' banana pups are coming right along! The 1st shot is my outdoor pup in my lily garden.

The 2nd shot is my indoor pup that's thriving under my fluorescent light system. I may put it outside sometime soon as well, but I don't know for sure, yet.

Attached Files:

17. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Soon, it'll look like this. Now 6' tall from a complete freeze down last winter. By mid October this grove will be between 12' and 15' tall.

Cheers, LPN (Barrie).

Attached Files:

18. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - that is one attractive banana plant, LPN!

Is that a Basjoo? I am like a kid at Christmas time, watching this thing grow. I just love the way the new leaves develop, in a sort of swirl, and then they unfold! How cool.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful photo. What a healthy looking and appealing specimen you have there. It's making me all the more excited. Vicarious too, has a lovely plant.

19. The Hollyberry Lady

This is where the obsession all began...

Ok, although these are bad shots, here is my very first gardens from over 6 years ago, now.

: O

I need to get the negatives developed so you can see the best shots (they were given to my grandmother), but these were the crappy peeks that were left. I will get the negatives developed soon. For now though, just so you can get an idea, here are my 1st gardens.

Nearly everything was grown from seed, except for the red roses and the gladiolas...

Attached Files:

20. vicarious1

yea POTS can get addictive LOVELY arrangements. So are you in a new garden or is the same one? The Banana leaves if you plan it right you can use for cooking use the bottom ones so it will grow taller like any standard plant ..but at some stage you want it full. You can wrap "fish or chicken in it with all sorts of veggies than wrap it up an stick a few Kebab sticks to hold it together try to fold corretly right away RE folding again and again will brake the leafe in different places Like a Burrito but you want it closed like a pocket ..must find my pics I did ... We did that at least once a week in South Africa...just make sure to have ALL inside you want YOUR PEPPERS some lemon juice some spices some shrimps fish sea food mix calamary etc ..so all stays nice an moist only the outside gets crispy.

21. vicarious1

My plant this year (its 2nd year) made 4 and 6 shoots. Would you recommend to cut some and only leave ONE or TWO to go taller fast or let it go up in a group. I am also concerned that it will grow wider and get our of the flower bed frame as the original stem is a dead zone now.
    In South Africa naturally that was not an issue but in Canada I wonder if 4 or 6 shoots will take much longer to grow tall. Whats your opinion ? Thank's a lot .

22. The Hollyberry Lady

No, the gardens in the above pictures were at a different place - my ex boyfriend's place. I cut out all three gardens myself, tended them for three year's, and my mom's gardens too, for 5 years. I have only been gardening here where I live now, for the last few years.

Yes, container plants are awesome. When I get the negatives developed, you'll see more head-on shots, and much more of the actual gardens. One garden is missing from the pictures completely! These really are the worst shots. My grandmother has the nicest ones. I'll show them soon...

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Which plant are you asking about, Vicarious?

24. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

After I drove our daughter to be with here husband at Camp Pendleton, there were a few days to explore the area there. I found some nice trees in the area, including this one that is either a small to medium tree or very tall shrub. Maybe you recognize it - I don't know the genus & species.

Attached Files:

25. vicarious1

Bananas :-) Naturally !