poganatherum

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by malcolm197, Feb 18, 2006.

1. malcolm197

malcolm197 Active Member

I recently bought one of these bamboos in a shop ( not a gardening shop!) as a house plant.

The cultivation information is sparse to say the least, although it indicates that it is suited to a bathroom location.

Can anyone tell me how to look after this plant correctly? Has anyone grown this plant personally, and are there any drawbacks, or special features that I should know about?Also is it suitable to put outside in the summer when weather conditions are kind - as there is no minimum temperature specified?

Surprisingly there is no mention of this plant in the Royal Horticultural Society encyclopedia, so I guess it is fairly new to domestic cultivation. There are also very few websites containing this plant.

It was not very expensive, but I would rather like not to lose it in its first year!!

Regards from UK
    Malcolm

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

So this plant is available somewhere. I've had my eye out for Pogonatherum paniceum ever since I saw its picture in a book. The plant is not a new introduction as the book was published in 1986. Plant care, according to the book:
    • Water generously during active growing period from Apr-Aug and moderately during other times;
    • Allow top 1/2" of soil to dry between watering;
    • Apply liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks during active growth;
    • Provide good light;
    • May be placed outside in summer provided it is not subjected to excessive heat;
    • Place in cool room in winter.
    You could try looking for information using the synonym P. saccharoideum.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Pogonatherum paniceum Greek "pogon"="beard", "ather"="flower", describing the fine beardlike appearance resulting from fine awns. ("awns"=A slender, bristlelike appendage found on the spikelets of many grasses)

Sometimes called "Malay Pygmy Bamboo" and also known as "The Baby Panda Bamboo", Pogonatherum paniceum looks like a clumping bamboo but is actually not a "true" bamboo. Although both it and true bamboos are within the grass family, Poaceae, it is more closely related to sugar cane (the genus Saccharum) than to bamboos. It is an interesting foliage grass from the rainforests of south-east Asia. It is most commoly grown as a house plant.

There are a few "must haves" as pre-requiste for healthy growth - consistently moist soil, but good drainage, minimum temperature of 65F, high humidity (mist the leaves with a spray bottle of water every day) and good light (direct sunlight if possible, if not give it the position with the brightest filtered light). It is fairly easy to divide - just take the root ball out and cleave into several pieces (that's why it's so cheap). Those of you in warmer climates probably can grow it outdoors - although tropical in origin, it is known to take some light frosts and is reportedly hardy to USDA cold hardiness zones 9-10.

But whatever you do, don't let the growing media dry out.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  4. malcolm197

malcolm197 Active Member

No wonder I couldn't find it - I spelled it incorrectly. Anyone in the UK interested in this plant I purchased it at IKEA,Nottingham for the princely sum of £2.00. I must be doing something right as it is flowering already after 2 weeks!!
    IKEA is an international company ( Swedish-based furniture store ) but I doubt whether the plants are sourced internationally - but it is worth visiting the website for readers in other countries. I have bought houseplants there before - there is seldom much choice but they always look in good condition. I had never seen this plant before so I took a chance - and they had 2 or 3 shelf -fulls, so there may be some left!!( I have no connection with the company - other than as a satisfied customer)
    Thanks for the information folks - now I have the correct spelling I will no doubt find more info. on the website. Nice to know I am not the only person that cannot spell - there were half a dozen web-sites spelling it the same way - so much for universal plant nomenclature!!!
    Regards from UK
    Malcolm