Please help! Transparent spots on fern leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Gardeningnewbie, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Gardeningnewbie

Gardeningnewbie New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi all
    I bought a new maidenhair fern from a garden centre. It has white transparent spots on some the leaves. I'm worried it might be scale or mites
    I've attached photos
    Any advice is much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Could the spots be from droplets of watering containing fertilizer that have dried? Do they wipe off with a damp cloth?

3. Gardeningnewbie

Thank you so much Junglekeeper. The spots did indeed wipe off with a damp cloth. You saved me so much trouble and worry

I think it was when I missed the plant. I live in a hard water area. I did boil the water and leave for 24 hours before using

Would you advise I stop misting it cos of the white marks? Apparently this plant likes to be misted

Thank you again. I really appreciate your help

4. Junglekeeper

Misting is ineffective in raising the humidity unless it's done continually. Could the plant be placed inside an enclosure where the humidity can be controlled? Rainwater may be an alternative if you wish to continue misting.

5. Gardeningnewbie

I do it have it on a humidity tray and surrounded by other plants to help humidity
    Rainwater is a good idea. It rains a lot here in the uk but just not now in summer
    Do you think the distilled tap water would be okay for misting for the time being? Or are the White marks bad for the plant
    With regard to continual misting; I do it every other day on this plant

6. Junglekeeper

This helps. Is it not good enough? (No need to look for a problem where one does not exist.)

The benefit of misting would be minimal at best if you do it only once a day. The moisture generated would quickly be absorbed by the surrounding air. You might try putting the plant in a spot behind a bright window in a bathroom/washroom, if one is available. Yes, you could use distilled water.

7. Gardeningnewbie

Thanks for your advice
    Perhaps the humidity tray will be enough
    A lot of places say to mist so I thought I need to do it
    I'll see how it goes without misting as the plant seems okay at the moment but it is newly bought
    All the best , much appreciated