In The Garden: please help identify this vine

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Shery1957, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Shery1957

Shery1957 Member

my neighbor has vines growing around on her property, that she says were planted by the original owner. It reminds me of a squash plant, with flower stems coming off where the leave joins the main stem. Little white flowers come off the main flower stem. It has little green squash shaped fleshy fruits that hang off their own stem from the vine. The fruits right now are a little bigger than a golf ball, and have soft spines all over them. There are seeds inside a bit bigger than a kidney bean. I don't have pictures yet, but could take some if necessary.
    Thanks all--

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Passiflora foetida? The flowers don't sound right for that, though. A picture will greatly help the ID process.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Marah oreganus.

4. burdan54

burdan54 Member

A photo will help identify this plant quicker. Can you take some and post them please?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

No need. Location + description adequate.

6. Shery1957

Shery1957 Member

that is it! I looked it up on line. It is also called Coastal Manroot. I am including photos and information I found on line at http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=208673

apparently it is edible, but according to Wikipedia--
    [edit]
    which is probably more that you all want to know, but I thought it was interesting. :)

Thanks again for solving my
    . I am glad I found your site. You have a vast knowledge out there to tap into. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  7. burdan54

burdan54 Member

I am glad that you were able to find out what kind of vine that this was. I know the feeling of having a plant and not having a clue what it is. Its a great feeling to finally put a name to a plant.

thanks
    Chris

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here is a link to the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture page that was previously attached to Shery1957's post.

http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection.php?Genus=Marah&Species=oreganus

And as a reminder to everyone, most pages, articles, photos on the Web are copyrighted. Reposting them on the forums is a form of publication and thus generally prohibited. Linking to the page is generally allowed and is easier to do anyway. Just copy the URL and include it in your post. If you have the Automatically parse links in text box ticked in the additional options just below the message box it will appear as a clickable link in your post.

9. burdan54

burdan54 Member

Can you tell me where I might find this plant? I would like to try and grow this one, if it grows in my region.