Please help, dying Dracaena marginata, Madagascar Dragon Tree

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by kariflips, Apr 23, 2010.

1. kariflips

kariflips Member

Please help! I rescued a few indoor trees over a year ago. At first they seemed to be doing well. My cat began to urinate in the pots so we re-potted the plants a few months ago and placed some rocks on top of the soil in the pot. We just used basic miracle grow potting soil from the store. We water it about every other month with water that has sat so the chlorine can dissipate. It is not in direct sun light, nor does it receive very much indirect sun light either. My Dracaena marginata does not look like it is doing so well now. I am not sure if it has to do with my re-potting, water habits, or sun-light issues. Below is a link to the original post about a year ago that has pictures of the tree when I first got it:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=220742#post220742

And I have attached pictures of what it looks like now, including the position it sits in the house in regards to the window. Please help! We love this tree and I do not have a natural green thumb. I would hate to see it completely die! I appreciate any help anyone may have!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Oh, my. You have one tough tree: it appears to be hanging in there despite adversity.

Definitely needs more light. And water.
    The rocks might deter the cats, but are they creating another issue for your tree?
    You water it every other month...? Yikes.

When I had a Dracaena and 2 cats simultaneously, I rigged up a wire-mesh arrangement to keep said felines from mistaking pot as litter box/using tree as scratching post. Was not the Martha Stewart ideal of loveliness, but it DID keep them off the plant, out of the pot, allowed me to water thoroughly (it was removable) and air to get into the soil and thence to roots.

I feel that your Dracaena yearns for that light visible in photo #3.

3. kariflips

kariflips Member

do you think we should move it closer to the window or keep it where it is and leave the blinds open more? direct or indirect sunlight? and what is a good watering schedule ?!? thank you so much for your help.

4. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Your marginata definitely looks sad. More light as said before, and a bit more water. I would set it in the bathtub and run luke warn water thru it over and over again to get out all foreign stuff and then let it sit in the tub with fresh water until you are sure the root ball is all wet/damp, then drain any excess water off. So may time with sparse watering the root ball dries out and the water just runs around the edges and never really gets to the roots. I would also clip off some of the still alive but damaged tips, dip them in a rooting hormone and put them in a well drained potting medium. They will readily re-root. and then can be added either back to the big pot to cover bare stems or kept in their own pot. The nice thing about Dracs is that usually the stem you cut the damages part from if cut back to live tissue will sprout a new set of leaves. Yours has great potential - don't give up! barb ;)))

5. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Are these the sort that grow outside in the PNW?
    You know, those that they sell for outdoor planting in tubs etc?

I thought they were indoor tropicals, not PNW plants.
    Correct me if I am wrong please.

D

6. kariflips

kariflips Member

Dana as far as I am aware they are tropical indoor plants. I do not believe they grow in the pacific northwest. I just was not sure where to post this thread.... is there a better place for it?

7. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

If so, I am sure that an intrepid moderator will relocate it.

8. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Kariflips, No Dracs do not grow out side here in the PNW. Other plants that look sort of similar do but not Dracs. They are strictly houseplants. barb

9. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Bothell is in the PNW, so it's fine to post here.

10. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Well,
    Ha ha, the new rules were so confusing to me I was afraid to post anything for the longest time.
    D is for Dummy,
    and I thought we could not post anything at all that was not particular to the PNW.
    I did not realize we could post about plants foreign to this region, at all. But I see that we can if they are being grown indoors?
    Thks for clarifying that issue,
    but
    I am still left wondering if this is the same Dracaena that is sold here for growing outside in tubs etc. ???

Thks,
    D

Please excuse my complete stupidity and thorough confusion.
    I really am trying to understand.
    I never did attend any institutions of higher learning.

Does the above quoted statement mean that if we live in the PNW we are welcome to post here on any plant topic? Not just items related to PNW plants?

Thks,
    D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
  11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes (maybe next time send a private message, as we're derailing the thread -- no need to reply to my message, so I hope it can get back on-topic)

12. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Is this the same dracaena that is sold to us to grow in tubs outdoors?

Thks
    D