plant ID southern Cameroon

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Nadine1, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Nadine1

Nadine1 Member

Hi everyone!

First of all, I'd like to say that I am super happy to have found this forum which seems to me to be a last chance to get an answer to my question. My question is perhaps a bit challenging because I neither have a picture nor a name for the plant which I am desperately looking for. Anyway, I'll give it a try (after I've been searching the internet for hours for pictures).
    I am looking for the name (and a picture) of a tree that grows in southern Cameroon. I am not a botanist, but I try to describe it as thoroughly as I can. The tree as I've seen it many times is not very tall, perhaps about 30-40 feet. It doesn't have any branches, but grows straight in a single trunk. It has dark green, oval leaves with an even edge. I never paid attention to the trunk and the bark since you cannot see it easily because the leaves grow around the trunk in a circular way (I think). The most salient feature about this tree is the new leaves which grow on the top and which have a deep red color. From far away, they look like red flowers, but they are definitely leaves. From my observation, this is not a rare plant, it grows frequently along the roads (next to umbrella trees). I've never seen it in the primary rain forest, it seems to occur exclusively in secondary forest. I never noticed any fruit or flowers. I also don't think that the tree is used by the population.
    I'd be most grateful for any hint, name, picture, etc.
    Thanks very much!

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Macaranga?

3. Nadine1

Nadine1 Member

Unfortunately not. The leaves are bigger, longer and darker and they are closer to each other. They look somewhat stiff and point upwards (not hanging down). Also, they are round and not pointed.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Pentagonia wendlandii or Dillenia pentagyna?
    Of course neither occurs naturally in Africa as far as I know.

6. Nadine1

Nadine1 Member

Thanks to you all for your help. I think, we are getting closer. With your help I found a picture that almost looks like the plant I am looking for:
    http://luirig.altervista.org/cpm/albums/bot-hawaii11/05338-Dillenia-indica.jpg
    However, the topmost leaves should be glaring red. Also, I read that Dillenia indica is indeed native to southeast Asia (which doesn't mean that it doesn't occur in Africa, there are many imported trees).

7. sundew kook

sundew kook Active Member

maybe it can be Polyalthia longifolia

8. Nadine1

Nadine1 Member

thanks. I checked it, but unfortunately the leaves of my tree are wider, darker and are standing upright...