Plant ID help from Seattle

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ersh99, Sep 13, 2016.

1. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

Hi-

I had a coouple plant id questions.

First is a shrub that was 3 or 4' tall and equally wide. It looks evergreen but am not sure and had a few flowers left on it. (first 2 photos)

Second is a shrub lighter in color, leaves have a slightly fuzzy look and are lighter in color on the backside of the leaves. I think this is evergreen as well. (last photo)

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think the first is an Escallonia and the second Brachyglottis greyi.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Old thread but now that I've noticed it looking for something else the Brachyglottis is correctly the garden hybrid cultivar 'Sunshine' and not the tender B. greyi, which is very rare in cultivation. (There is a continuing horticultural history of miscalling the hybrid "Senecio greyi").

4. wcutler

Thanks, Ron. I will set a reminder to check my own photos when I can have my desk rebuilt and get back onto my desktop computer.

5. wcutler

Good, so far - I had almost all of my Brachyglottis photos named 'Sunshine', either because it's the only cultivar name I found, or because they looked like the one from UBCBG. While I'm here, though, I have a question about a plant next to some 'Sunshine' plants along English Bay, with very short rays. Is that some other cultivar, or does this individual just have problems?
    Here is 'Sunshine'.
    Brachyglottis-Sunshine_SunsetBeach-at-Cafe_Cutler_20180613_140550.jpg

And the plant with the short ray flowers.
    Brachyglottis-ShortRays_SunsetBeach-at-Cafe_Cutler_20180613_140943.jpg Brachyglottis-ShortRays_SunsetBeach-at-Cafe_Cutler_20180613_141018.jpg Brachyglottis-ShortRays_SunsetBeach-at-Cafe_Cutler_20180613_141034.jpg