Pest Control Spray for Mango seedlings

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MadforMangos, Jun 2, 2012.

1. MadforMangos

MadforMangos Member

Hello, can anyone tell me what I need to do to keep bugs off my little mango plant? I saw a white hopper on it this morning. This afternoon I looked at underside of leaf and saw a white powdery substance. I gently wiped it off with my finger knowing it wasn't suppose to be there (hope it wasn't a mistake). The plants are outside in pots.
    I also saw the world's smallest aphid. At least I think that's what it was..not sure it was sooooo small, could hardly see it. It was kind of brownish-reddish in color.
    Please help. Do I need to spray with with something?

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

If they are aphids or leaf hoppers, you can use insecticidal soap. I don't know what brand would be available there. We have "Safer's Insecticidal Soap".

If you have Ivory liquid dish soap, (and only Ivory liquid should be used- no other brands!!!!!) put a teaspoon in a quart of water and spray it on the insects. Ivory is a mild soap. Most of the other dish soaps can harm your plants.

With aphids and leafhoppers, you have to actually get the soapy spray onto them for it to work.

3. MadforMangos

MadforMangos Member

David, thank you so much for your reply. I will use the soap. I actually have organic insecticidal soap already. Thank you again!! This helps me a lot.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Be sure there is a pest problem before you begin a treatment program. My indoor mango tree has always had a slight powdery substance on the leaf underside. I believe it is a natural substance exuded by the leaf.

5. MadforMangos

MadforMangos Member

Thank you Junglekeeper. There is a white bug (looks like white hopper) where the white substance is. I just sprayed my gardenias and there was white hoppers on there too. I just look for the white powdery substance, give the plant a little movement, and there is the bug! Also found them on my jasmine. Definitely white bugs.