Parsley won't germinate indoors

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tivel08, Apr 2, 2013.

1. tivel08

tivel08 Member

Hi all

So, I started a bunch of seeds indoors on a heat mat and had great success with basil, tarragon, Chives and at least 5 different varieties of tomatoes including the finicky San Marzanos. Except the parsley. It has been 2weeks and still nothing! They are in peat pots and not sown too deep. The only thing I can think of is that I had to remove the cover off the pots and turn on the grow light as the other seedlings have been popping up happily. Help!!!

2. Kara

Kara Active Member

Well parsley is like carrots in a way. If the seeds aren't very fresh, they won't germinate at all. And they can be troublesome at times, even when fresh. Be patient a bit longer. It could take a month to see anything.

3. tivel08

tivel08 Member

Thanks Kara. The seeds are fresh. Should I cover the seeds again? Does parsley need dark to germinate?

4. Kara

Kara Active Member

General rule with seeds is to cover them with the same depth as the size of the seed. If it were me I wouldn't go further than 1/2 inch covering.

If your local grocery store sells parsley bunches with some roots still attached, they can be replanted and will revive. I saw it on a Vermicompost forum with photos. :D

5. tivel08

tivel08 Member

Thank you so much...Parsley just popped its head up today :-)