Panicum Frosted Explosion

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Shuswap Kathy, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Shuswap Kathy

Shuswap Kathy Member

Yesterday I purchased an ornamental grass that I have never seen before. The label says Frosted Explosion, Panicum E . . . It is a small plant (2.5" pot) but has a beautiful seed head on it and I thought it would be worth trying out as a tall plant in a barrel. Does anyone know how big these grow and if they are perennial (I'm zone 5)? I googled it and find that it is being touted as a great grass for flower arrangements but couldn't find a lot about the growing habit. I am wondering if one plant will do it, or if I should hurry back to the nursery and pick up the others they had since it seems like it could be a really wonderful addition to the garden.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The second hit I get says "60-80cm". Other usage information seems to be presented in the series of hits I get, try opening some more up that look promising.

It appears the "e" stands for elegans.

3. Shuswap Kathy

Shuswap Kathy Member

Yes, I saw that one, too, but it's not a lot of info and I wonder if someone has actually grown it in a garden and has any feedback.

4. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

The searches I did by typing in the name on 'Bing' all seemed to list it as an annual, mostly available as seeds. Below is a bit more info from one site. Another site said it could be planted close together and I think one photo showed it in a barrel. It seems to be a new introduction so you may not find a lot of folks who have experience growing it.

Frosted Explosion (Panicum elegans)

New! A new cut with a ’sparkling’ personality.
    The airy flower plumes seem to burst from the center of the plant resembling a Fourth of July sparkler. An excellent filler for bouquets, and a startling bedding plant when several are planted together. If planted in a cut-flower bed, keep harvested for a second flush of stems. A good greenhouse performer. Ht. 24-32". Avg. 34,100 seeds/oz. Packet: 100 seeds.

Plant Cycle: (A) Days to Maturity or Bloom: 84-112 days