pampas grass care & pruning

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Mick, Mar 1, 2004.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Cut the seed heads before they mature to prevent spread - it's not a difficult thing to do, really, you can use a regular pair of pruners so long as you protect your exposed flesh from the blades of the grass. Depending on what species of Pampas Grass you have, the heads are mature when they're pink, bluish, or blackish.

2. sweetlou

sweetlou Member

okay thank you lorax i'am pretty sure i'll be able to tell when they fully mature it will probally do it at the beging of oct. i've never seen on full grown in person so i'll be on the lokk out thanks

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    I had posted and asked is it DEAD here in Burnaby after the big winter. WEll HIP HIP hurray my pampa grass has survived and is shooting its first greens . I moved it into a 100% south sun position.

4. cassiepyke

cassiepyke Member

I love the look of pampass grass and I have a huge 1.5 arces nearly naked lot in PEI, zone 5b/6a.
    I have recently purchased some seed packets and would like to ensure success as they were expensive.
    Is there any tricks or hints any one can pass on to help ensure success whe starting from seed?

5. lorax

It's basically a weed. Seeds will germinate even under fairly adverse conditions, and if you provide them with a warm, moist environment you're almost guaranteed a high rate of germination. Sandy soils seem to be best.

6. booboy

booboy Member

Im a gardener by trade. I have discovered the best way to cut pampas grass. I cut 10 huge clumps 10 inches from the ground if 5 min with a chainsaw. The clean up took over an hour however.

7. lorax

I've found that they tend to tangle the chain, which is why I use a machete. I prune yearly, and it takes about 5 minutes per clump.

8. SirLemond

SirLemond Member

Re: Pampas grass

seriously! If you can kill Pampas grass, get out of the yard/garden! now. :)

9. SirLemond

SirLemond Member