Palm Sedge

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by Raniusia, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Raniusia

Raniusia Member

I wonder if anyone could enlighten me - variegated palm sedge(Carex muskingumensis) 'Oehme' and
    cultivars named 'Variegata' or 'Aureovariagata' - are they the same plant?
    Or are there _any_ separate variegated cultivars of this sedge other than
    'Oehme'? (I have googled, BTW, and 'Variegata' comes up in a handful of
    Swedish, German, Russian, Belgian and lots of Polish pages. Nowhere else -
    so I think the name might not be correct).

And another question - can you recommend some reference book on grasses,
    sedges and the like? I have Darke's Encyclopedia and it is excellent - but
    perhaps you have come across something more comprehensive yet?

R.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've tried to find the ICRA (International Cultivar Registration Authority for Carex, Cyperaceae or sedges - none seem to exist, which is where I'd point you to if one did.

As you've rightly figured, 'Variegata' and 'Aureovariegata' are generally unreliable as cultivar names - they are too easily misapplied or more properly applied to a whole group. I can't offer any clarity for your question.

As for grass and sedge books, hmm... what are you primarily looking for in a book? ID? Cultivation and cultural requirements? Listings of cultivars? Species?

3. Raniusia

Raniusia Member

Thanks for replying! I had no idea that there is no "official" registry for Carex cultivars, it would seem worthwhile, there are so many beautiful plants worth cultivating.

As for books - I am looking mostly for both ID pointers for the species and cultivar descriptions. I have heard that a new edition of Darke's Encyclopedia is forthcoming in 2007, and I intend to get it, but still - more books the better.

R.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ornamental Grasses by Roger Grounds is probably worth having, as it lists both species and cultivars. It is definitely geared toward gardening.

I would, however, say that the definitive book has not yet been written (that I'm aware of). For a more scientific treatment, you need to delve into regional floras and the like.