Palm Cold Hardness???

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by treeguy123, Oct 20, 2006.

1. treeguy123

treeguy123 Active Member

I live in zone 7a in AL (the lowest temperature here averages around 3 to 5 degrees in January) and I found out about the CHINESE WINDMILL PALM not to long ago and was seriously going to get some but searching around some more I found out about the HIMALAYAN WINDMILL PALM (Trachycarpus takil) and I read on some sites it was cold hardy to -5 degrees and it had smooth bark and larger fronds, this made me really excited. So The problem is that some sites list( Trachycarpus takil) cold hardy to only to 20 degrees (zone 9a) and some to -5 degrees ( zone 6b), What is the real cold hardiness?

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

The true hardiness of T. takil is probably in between what you have seen on those two sites. If you want to grow a trunked palm with no special care or protection, zone 7 (~5ºF) is about as cold as you want to get. You could get burnt fronds, much colder and defoliation will occur...not something a palm can handle every year.

I think -5ºF as a tolerated low for T. takil was probably in a 'perfect' world. Add moisture, wind, and duration of cold to the mix to -5ºF and a high rate of mortality would occur. It's certainly not something a tree could handle every year.

Simon

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

A debate amongst enthusiasts, collectors and taxonimists regarding Trachycarpus takil has surfaced a while ago. Not all are convinced of it being a separate and distinct species and feel it's nothing more than a natural variation of T. fortunei.
    Either way, there's plenty of gardeners on the eastern seaboard that are growing Trachycarpus. Seek plants and seed from the coldest winter regions in your case.

Cheers, LPN.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

There is a group of Trachycarpus fortunei planted in Plovdiv, Bulgaria, that has survived a temperature of −27.5 °C in January 1993

5. LPN

Kiril has a Bulgarian web site if I'm not mistaken, dedicated to Trachycarpus etc.
    A quick Google search and I'm certain you could find it.

Cheers, LPN.

6. LPN

Also, Umm ... I just remembered. I have a Washingtonia filifera (from seed) he collected in Northern Turkey. The parent palm is reported to have withstood some chilly temps.

LPN.

7. Michael F

It was at polarpalm.net but the site has disappeared

8. Ottawa_Z5A

Ottawa_Z5A Member

Hi everyone,.....i live in a zone 5a, and I got inspired by this website hometown.aol.com/fitzroya/myhomepage/cooking.html, and www.polarpalm.net/, they both have palms going as cold as -20F.

Adam

9. kia796

kia796 Active Member

Michael, the site's still there. I, too, was immensely inspired by it: http://www.polarpalm.net/, especially the effort that went into describing their micro-climate, comparing ice-fog. Figs and palms in Bulgaria! I'm really envious.

10. Michael F

Yep, I noticed the site re-appeared fairly soon after when I posted that message

11. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Hey Treeguy,

any of the Trachys should be fine for you. My sister-in law has them growing in Auburn. I've also seen them in Atlanta. Even in northern Alabama, they should be fine if planted in a protected (not too windy) spot. Where are you in alabama? I know someone in Nova Scotia(zone6B) who has one with protection. Butia should work also.

12. LPN

Take it from a long time palm grower, Butia capitata will not survive your zone 7a AL winter.

Cheers, LPN.