Pac NW garden moths - and other moths

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by Georgia Strait, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    over thé past couple of yrs I have observed these in the planters on sundeck nr ocean nr Vanc. BC

I think reason I have these moths and observe them is two-fold
    A. I leave a porch light on in the dark — plus some solar patio lights - amidst a lush coastal garden that does not use herb/pesticides

B. I get up really early before wind off ocean, and they are asleep on the cabin siding or on a nearby sturdy sheltered potted plant (the rosemary in container for example)

I have also incl a recent pic of Okanagan milkweed and a Western tiger Swallowtail butterfly. (Picture with rough fence rails) We don’t see as many Monarch any more last decade. Does anyone see Monarchs here in BC 2020?

QUESTION - do moths & butterflies help pollinate plants?

I have attached some photos below for your observation.

And here is a link to a post a few yrs ago ... I think the Royal BC Museum PDF link needs update URL
    Hummingbird Hawk Moths (a bit off topic)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. Georgia Strait

I am having difficulty uploading photos fr my ph so I will try here ... I can usually make this tool work ...

It seems to be allowing only one image per post today.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Georgia Strait

A mystery small moth - approx 1” long by 1” wide at rest

EDIT 1045am PDT to add photo x 1 green moth

Attached Files:

4. Georgia Strait

Trying to upload Milkweed pic Okanagan

Look closely for the Western (tiger) swallowtail butterfly (flutterby?)

(Sorry mods, I can usually make this work)

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening Georgia, yes they do pollinate, I have added a very good scientific study for you.
    The role of moths as nocturnal pollinators
    Wonderful photo in your second posting, the equal to any Butterfly in its colour and markings.

6. Georgia Strait

Thank you -
    The wild photo is of the swallowtail — on milkweed which is local plant in Okanagan Valley here but lots of people get rid of it because it’s not conventional in appearance — highly scented and butterflies love it- resting for many minutes upon the cream color globe-shaped “flower” (about size of a large allium). In the winter cold - this plant dies back completely — then emerge slowly April in to May then suddenly 3 feet tall and blooming around solstice, carefully linked in to the neighboring natural flora and fauna.

7. Georgia Strait

And here is my most recent sighting on this sundeck in sheltered area under nighttime lamp

A silk moth? (ÉDIT: Polyphemus?)

I estimate measurements to be approx 2.5 inches from nose to end of tail

I did not hold up a ruler to measure because it was resting and I did not want to disturb it.

Initially I thought it was a little brown bat (which we like and I think are increasingly rare)

Attached Files:

Arlette likes this.
  8. Acerholic

And very few protected moths that cannot be taken, only 8 in the UK under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. As they are pollinators all should have protection IMO. Sorry, just picking up on your posting about people getting rid of them. I spent 30 years protecting wildlife, so it does annoy me a little bit.
    The silk moth is a large one as they go, wonderful close up Georgia. Glad you appreciate them.

9. Georgia Strait

10. Acerholic

Good article Georgia and as Mr Vassilopoulos said "Sometimes nature is just surprising". But if people take time to look, the wonders of nature is around us.

11. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Georgia Strait likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@Arlette well I'm impressed. Good research!!!

13. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Good morning @Acerholic I am very interested in the Lepidoptera family, like all the "fauna" that runs through my garden, whether they are flashy by day, or, perhaps even more flashy, if creatures of the night that pass, unfortunately, almost unnoticed.

14. Acerholic

Good morning to you also Arlette, tbh all flora and fauna fascinate me. For the last 10 years of my career, it was their protection that I was very much involved with. Now in retirement I can enjoy it as a hobby.
    I'm loving these forums, 'so interesting' !!

15. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Acerholic
    Me too! I send you my new entry into my album Fauna in transit in my garden (it is not a Lepidoptera, however) that horrified some of my friends at the cry of but what a little monster! In fact, he is not really nice but maybe he will say the same thing when he meets some of us !!! Have you ever met him?
    Pogonosoma (2).PNG Pogonosoma maroccanum

16. Acerholic

@Arlette, Not in the UK no, it is not native here. How common is it in Italy?

17. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

t is a rather unusual predatory Diptera (Asilidae) also here, it is a difficult species to observe and even rare. I was lucky to pick it up also because in the day it escapes in spurts very quickly.

18. Acerholic

@Arlette , Great to see it Arlette, your photography was spot on. There is so much to see on these forums. Have you seen @Nik garden and the visitors she has ? Flora and Fauna is quite amazing!! The slime mold close ups are almost un worldly.
    All 5 classifications in one garden. So envious !!!

19. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Acerholic Oh help me please! Where do I find the Nick garden? I still can’t find my way between all sections, subsections ................ my brain goes up in smoke !!!!!

20. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It's been 8 years since I pulled these 2 Antheraea polyphemus out of an evergreen huckleberry bush along with Garry oak leaves. Never had seen them before or since although a neighbour told me he has seen them too - 6 inches from wing-tip to wing-tip!

Attached Files:

Georgia Strait and Arlette like this.
  21. Acerholic

'Giant' Silk Moth is an apt name for this one. The eyes on their backs to stop predators just shows how evolution has succeeded with this variety. Sadly like so many others, they are in decline. Not from man though I believe, but from an increase in Squirrel population.
    Great photo Margot, glad you took it and could share it with us all.

22. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Margot @Acerholic Beautiful moth!
    It is rather a belief that moths are sad and dark !!! Perhaps because they have only seen those who sometimes enter the house through the windows open in the summer.

I never thought I would have the opportunity to photograph (even if a couple of days apart) even a couple, a male and a female , of Saturnia pavoniella (at least I think they are) who say they are very reluctant to "pose"!

Saturnia femmina4.jpg female
    Saturnia maschio.jpg male

23. Acerholic

@Arlette, your words are so true Arlette and the pictures tell the real story.
    The general consensus is that people love Butterflies but hate Moths.
    As you say it's possibly to do with the invasion of our space at night through open windows !!!
    Definatly an Emperor moth btw.

24. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If you find a posting by Nik, you can click the icon, and where it shows messages, click the number of messages to see Nik's postings. Or you can do a query on user Nik. They are most likely to be in Maples and in Virtual Garden Tour.

Arlette likes this.
  25. Acerholic

@wcutler, Good evening Wendy. I linked Arlette with the posting by Nik. She can now view what she was wanting and already has done.

D