Appreciation: Out and About

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by wcutler, May 24, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I wanted to post a photo of Osmunda regalis a while ago, don't seem to have done that. Here is one with fertile fronds outside a condo at Gilford and Pendrell, two blocks from me. Edited - this doesn't come up on a search for ferns, so I am adding the common name Royal Fern.
    Osmunda-regalis_1125Gilford_Cutler_20200717_152114.jpg Osmunda-regalis_1125Gilford_Cutler_20200717_152124.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Nik likes this.
  2. wcutler

Last week I posted a Trifolium repens used instead of grass. This week, it's Lysimachia nummularia, creeping Jenny. There is a cultivar called 'Aurea'. If I were naming things, this would be it.
    Lysimachia-nummulariaAurea_630Keefer_Cutler_20200720_160723.jpg Lysimachia-nummulariaAurea_630Keefer_Cutler_20200720_160736.jpg Lysimachia-nummulariaAurea_630Keefer_Cutler_20200720_160747.jpg Lysimachia-nummulariaAurea_630Keefer_Cutler_20200720_160824.jpg

The car in the last photo surely goes with the house. The landscape colours are very well-coordinated here. I think the plant on the left in the next photo is Berberis thunbergii, maybe the cultivar 'Lime Glow', and the Cotinus coggygria is also a green-leafed one.
    Berberis-thunbergii_630Keefer_Cutler_20200720_161324.jpg Berberis-thunbergii_630Keefer_Cutler_20200720_161331.jpg Cotinus-coggygria_630Keefer_Cutler_20200720_161416.jpg

Another house on the block has the same creeping Jenny.
    Lysimachia-nummulariaAurea_636Keefer_Cutler_20200720_161221.jpg Lysimachia-nummulariaAurea_636Keefer_Cutler_20200720_161233.jpg

The properties in this posting are all on a block in Strathcona, just to the east of Chinatown, that was slated for "urban renewal". Fortunately, the residents had other ideas and managed to see them carried out.
    StrathconaPropertyOwners_658Keefer_Cutler_20200720_161001.jpg StrathconaPropertyOwners_658Keefer_Cutler_20200720_161022.jpg StrathconaPropertyOwners_658Keefer_Cutler_20200720_161043.jpg StrathconaPropertyOwners_658Keefer_Cutler_20200720_161102.jpg

Acerholic and Arlette like this.
  3. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

I'm glad you wrote about Lysimachia nummularia which I consider a very interesting plant since it is adaptable both in emerged and submerged form; a multipurpose plant can therefore also be used as an aquarium plant or in an emerged form in marshes and at the edges of ponds. Its use in the garden is also spreading in my areas both as a ground cover, both as an element of balance of heights in mixed compositions in pots, and still in hanging pots where the simultaneous presence of the two colors of the plant is often exploited.

wcutler likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Our local garden centre is now promoting this as an alternative to grass lawns. We were very pleased to see so much of it being purchased by people. Is it a sign of the times!!!
    Not a young family thing to buy though, as it's not a kick the ball around surface.
    We removed our lawn completely in 2019 to grow more trees and encourage more birds into our garden, the area is now covered in a woodland bark surface. We have a paved patio that we are now considering placing Creeping Jenny in parts to break up the austere lines.
    So strange that Wendy posts this just a couple of days after we saw it at the garden centre in England.

wcutler likes this.
  5. Acerholic

A tree that always gets photographed by me wherever we go and that's the Cedrus libani ' Lebanese cedar ' or 'Cedar of Lebanon'
    These photos were taken by me at Nymans gardens West Sussex UK.
    Two different views, but both show one very stately tree IMO.

Attached Files:

6. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Acerholic Fairy!!!! Only this is missing (except a couple !!) to feel at peace with the world !!!!

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@Arlette, yes agreed !! There were Peacocks, look beautiful but their cry is something only their mother would like. Lol

8. Acerholic

One of the things that can make a garden is water, here two photos I took of my wife and I favourite garden. Stourhead in Wiltshire.
    We visit several times every year, but 2020 sadly have not.
    This garden was created in the early 1700's and opened in 1750 and covers 2,650 acres.
    Many people on this forum will never visit, so I hope my photos will give a taste of this wonderful place.

Attached Files:

Arlette and Margot like this.
  9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I appreciate your introduction to these fabulous National Trust gardens and always take some time to look them up on the web to learn more about their history and enjoy more photos. Now I won't be satisfied until I have not only a lake but also a bridge and a grotto in my garden.

Loved Westonbirt too but I can't remember who told us about that wonderful place.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    wcutler likes this.
  10. Acerholic

@Margot, so glad you enjoyed the photos Margot, that is my objective to share the gardens on the forum of what my wife and I enjoy so much. The grotto btw is magical, our eldest granddaughter loved it when we took her there aged 7 in 2013. She sat in the very place looking out across the lake that your attached photo shows.

11. Acerholic

Today I have three photos I took at Nymans in West Sussex England.
    The first is of Cornus kousa 'Chinensis'. Photo 2 is of a typical Summer herbaceous border and photo 3 is of a parterre with Lavender enclosed and a Topary Yew hedge surrounding.
    I hope this gives you a little bit of England to enjoy.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  12. wcutler

I'm enjoying seeing your visits to gardens I saw on the botanical gardens tour I went on in 2008 led by Douglas Justice. They're nudging me to go back to look at my very unsatisying photos. Next time you go to Nymans, you could get me an ID on this shrub. Or maybe you know it.
    2010058_Nymans_Cutler_P1020312.JPG 2010058_Nymans_Cutler_P1020314.JPG

Margot likes this.
  13. Acerholic

@wcutler, a small world it is. We remember the shrub well, we love white flowers. It is I believe an Erica arborea although we did not take photos or the name plate.
    But of course the next time we are there I will take a photo and obtain the name for you.
    I'm pleased that you and others are enjoying the posts from my wife and I garden visits.
    A teaser tomorrow btw.

wcutler likes this.
  14. Acerholic

I thought I would add this one now as I said to Wendy about a teaser.
    Where was I when I took this photo? IMG_20150522_090629975_HDR.jpg

15. wcutler

I don't know, but I'm sure I don't have the same photo. I certainly would not be able to count on my memory.

16. Acerholic

@wcutler, lol I will update tomorrow after others have looked at it.

17. Acerholic

As nobody has come up with an answer; it was the centre of the main pavilion at the RHS Chelsea flower show.
    The stand was Sir Harold Hilliers ( gold medal of course). Do they ever get anything else!!!!

18. Acerholic

Good morning, one of the beauties of a lovely landscape garden is seeing it from above.
    I was fortunate to be able to go to the roof of Ashdown House in Oxfordshire England and take these photos.
    I just about managed to get a little of the parterre or knot garden whilst leaning over the small wall. Always be viewed from above IMO.
    The walks were glorious btw.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  19. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

I don't know if this is the section indicated for this post or if there is a section indicated or, if still, I am not OT for the entire Forum but I wanted to write about how there are places, times and ways in which the art of Nature unites to art created with elements of Nature.
    When art and nature meet, unique works are born, in an intertwining of green, wind, sun, wood and creativity.
    This is the case of Artesella, a magical place located just ten kilometers from Borgo Valsugana. (Trento), which for over thirty years has hosted incredible works made of natural materials, capable of dialoguing with the surrounding environment and returning to Earth once its function is exhausted.
    A permanent exhibition of works by artists from all over the world, located in the middle of the woods,
    You can meet a giant snail, a large beehive, a nest containing the eggs of who knows which dinosaur ... and then a very long nib which instead of drawing ink then draws with the water of the pond, geometric figures at least four times the height of a human being and curious houses with the most bizarre shapes that you cannot resist the temptation to visit !.
    But the work that probably strikes the most is the Vegetal Cathedral, with three naves of twelve meters high and an area of 1220 square meters. A monumental structure consisting of 80 trees that reaches up to 15 meters in height. The aisles, which grow year after year and show their beauty in every season: in spring with the new leaves, in summer in their green explosion, with the colors of autumn or with the scenographic effects of the snow that settles and gives special emphasis to this imposing building.

Arte Sella, la montagna (d’arte) contemporanea

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

@Arlette. Good afternoon Arlette what a magical place. Art and nature come together as one. The beatiful mountain background sets it off perfectly.
    Watching the video you can certainly feel the stresses of life drift away.
    Thankyou, we really enjoyed it, 'more than once' by the way !! Lol

21. Margot

Good thing you're not fazed by heights like I am. My heart was in my throat seeing the photo showing the roof and reading that you were leaning over a small wall.

22. Acerholic

@Margot, lol it wasn't too bad tbh Margot. Luckily I'm OK with heights from what I used to do in my career. Hope you enjoyed the landscape photos though.

23. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I figured it was Chelsea but didn't know for sure.

24. Acerholic

I thought I would celebrate the Fagus sylvatica 'Atropurpurea' or Copper beech today. This tree stands out amongst the variety of geens if placed correctly.
    These photos I took at Basildon Park Berkshire England, show it close up and a view of how another of this wonderful tree can be picked out in the landscape.
    Photos taken in 2010 on a visit we made.

Attached Files:

25. Margot

What a magnificient tree! Beeches grow so slowly, that one must be very old.