Organic vs Synthetic Shrub fertilizers

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by John Mackenzie, May 10, 2004.

1. John Mackenzie

John Mackenzie Member

Question 1
    Is organic fertilizer better than synthetic fertilizer for shrubs because:
    a) it comes with "soil organisms" and
    b) it works even at low temperatures
    Or
    Is this marketing hype and in fact they are so low in nitogen as to be expensive, more difficult to apply and not better than (slow release) synthetic fertilizer.
    Or
    Is the truth somewhere inbetween?

Question 2
    I can understand the slow release fertizers provide a constant supply of nutrients to shrubs. But is a liquid fertizer such as Miracle Grow so bad if it is applied regualry Spring to early autumn?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

IMHO...(as a former sales rep for a company that sold synthetic and organic products, years as a garden center / nursery employee fed tons of info or propoganda from fertilizer salespeople) - I would say this in response;
    A) fertilizer does not have any organisms alive in it at the time you purchase it, organic or not, as organic fertilizers (bone meal, blood meal, other animal products) must be steamed or otherwise treated to remove pathogens (aka all life). The one exception I must mention is products containing mychorrizae which are present in a dormant state impregnated usually on cat litter or the like and mixed with your nutrients, they are a good thing, a very good thing in sterile ( most packaged products ) soil, for a lot of plants (not grasses, orchids and a bunch of others).

B) temperature affects sulfur and polymer coated products as they are intended to not dissolve when cool. Organic products do not dissolve in water generally at a high rate so temperature will be less of an issue as to their availability in the soil for roots to absorb.

As to cost.. long story...
    here goes short version;
    Organic fertilizers are usually low analysis BUT.... analysis is only part of the equation, the most important part is the RATIO of the nutrients to one another. 20-20-20 has mainly the same effect as 10-10-10 just that you have less pounds per acre of actual nutrients. Synthetic ( I cringe when I call them synthetic as it sounds like they are artificial when in fact things like Nitrogen and iron are minerals that cannot be "made' but they can be culled from other piles of muck or products that contain them ie. petroleum refinery waste or big holes in the ground aka mines).

on that note I would offer this as advice for fertilizers;
    Cold processed organic nutrients (kelp!) are good (very good). Pasteurized ones (most fish fertilizers) are not much more beneficial than synthetics. Manures are good - steer, chicken, worm, bat, seabird, sheep + mushroom. Dried, washed sea kelp is good, very good (lots of trace minerals).Plant extracted organics are good - alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal, canola meal.
    harvested animal products can be good - feather meal, bone meal, blood meal.
    If you are concerned about angry cow disease try using fishbone meal (it does exist, trust me.)
    Synthetics used in moderation are not all bad.
    Synthetics used sparingly with organics used whenever possible is good.
    Feed your soil, the plant(s) will be happiest.
    Feed your plant and it is a constant battle to balance its health and vigor.
    Dont use fertilizer stakes. They encourage localized rooting and that is not good.
    READ the label, especially the fine print - there is no overseeing body for an organic certification (that I know of) that is unilateral, there are numerous small groups and such and Canada has no clear laws about packaging in regards to organic claims. There is a fertilizer that sells really well locally that is labelled as organic based, I have talked to the manufacturer and all they do is add sawdust to the mix when they dump in their synthetic blend. If a company or product is truly organi they will be very happy and proud to display their sources of nutrients (side of the box, fine print) you should see things like bone meal, blood meal, rock phosphate, greensand etc. all natural sources of nutrients.

after all that, I appreciate any who may be able to correct me in my rantings and welcome further discussion. :)

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

interesting chart for nutrient fanatics, sorry I forget which website I pinched this image from.

Attached Files: