Orchids under fluorescent lights?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by photopro, Sep 26, 2007.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I use a service that tells me the questions people type into any search engine in order to be directed to my website. I can't tell who asked, just what they asked. This morning someone, somewhere in the world asked an interesting one, "how to cultivate orchids beneath fluorescent lights". I haven't answered that question anywhere on my site but since perhaps others might be wondering, here's the answer.

Standard fluorescent bulbs just don't have enough intensity, or the correct spectrum, to keep an orchid healthy and blooming long term. You might succeed for a while, but long term the orchid is going to need more light and the correct light spectrum. There are however lights made for aquarium use that will work fine for orchids.

The most expensive is a VHO inflorescent ballast and bulb, probably several bulbs. These normally come in 110 watt bulbs at four foot lengths and can be purchased in a daylight spectrum of approximately 5600 degrees K. Not cheap ($300 or more) but they will work great. If you can keep coral alive under them, you can keep orchids healthy as well. There are also extreme high intensity lights called metal halide but I would not recommend those due to the excess heat and price

There is another form known as a "compact" light that is substantially less expensive. I've got two of these strip lights on my living coral aquarium (well, the one that is about to have water in it) and they are quite intense. Each bulb is approximately 65 watts and you can find nice hoods on eBay for $100 or less that will hold up to 4 bulbs. These hoods are not only effective, they look descent as well. Many coral reef aquarium keepers now use these with great results. So again, these will work fine for orchids. They are cool to the touch and put out a great deal of light. Just make sure you buy "daylight" bulbs. The equivalent intensity would be similar to lightly filtered light outdoors.

Although my aquarium is now ready to go (not filled yet), we've kept living corals since the early 1990's with great success. I just have never set up the aquarium since we moved here. But now the grand kids want fish and coral to see again! Better get started.

Now, maybe the person who was looking for that information on the net will look at UBC!

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I wanted to bump Steve's thread because it's so important at this time of the year. Areas that are well-lit in summer may be pretty dark by winter and plants can suffer. Without growlights (new 85 W CFL's) I couldn't keep and flower many of the plants that I grow. Just below the arctic circle we get maybe 5 hours of dim sunlight a day by the winter soltice. My fluorescent lights are on for 14-16 hours a day and I flower Catts, Cymbidium (Golden Elf), Dendrobiums, Masdevallias, Miltoniopsis, Oncidiums, Paphiopedilums, Phalaenopsis, Rhynchostylus and Zygopetalums species and hybrids. Adding any decent light source close enough to the plants and on for enough hours a day can be the difference between spring flowers and dead/dying plants.

Shaun

3. lshelton

lshelton Member

I grow orchids under 4' T5 lights....all sorts of different kinds and they seem to do very well.

4. photopro

I believe some may have missed what I was saying about "standard fluorescent lights". The original question I referred to was asking if orchids could live under room fluorescent lighting.

Not to be overly technical, but the color spectrum of a standard bulb is around 7000 degrees Kelvin, or very blue and cool. Certainly, plant bulbs grow type bulbs can work, but they aren't standard bulbs. Those are nearer daylight which is close to 5600 degrees Kelvin (daylight).

Some growers with whom I have corresponded report outstanding results with compact lighting since it is also near 5600 degress Kelvin and substantially brighter approaching the normal intensity and color of the daylight spectrum. Compact bulbs put out well over three times the brilliance of any normal plant type bulb which is why they will keep living coral alive. Corals, just like plants, rely on both color and intensity of light to thrive.

5. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Wow this is odd since there is a whole world of growing plants including orchids under lights, including flourescents and incandescent banks. This is especially the only method for terrarium growers and there really is no need for putting out $$$ bucks.
    Full spectrum flourescents work quite well once you get the distance to the plant worked out as drop off in usable light is very sharp in a matter of inches. And then there is the use of halogens favored by the growers of illicit plants which supposedly produce outstanding results. These latter systems can add up to some measureable bucks though.
    I have found that standard CW flourescents are great for African Violets and Selaginella. Have not really tried orchids with the Cool Whites.

6. photopro

If you aren't using the cool whites, then you're likely using bulbs that put out a near daylight range. Again, the original question I quoted on was asking about "standard" bulbs which is almost all cases are "cool white" or even bluer. Compacts are not expensive, just brighter. Typically, instead of 40 watt, the bulbs are 65 watt and much smaller. I've bought four foot length hoods for $75 with 4 bulbs. You can easily get four bulbs in a four foot length which gives 260 watts of light in a four foot length at the correct color spectrum. In the rain forest, orchids grow at moderately bright intensities. I used to spend a lot of time talking to major orchid growers in South Florida and being a retired photographer used to take both a color meter and light meter out to see what intensity and color of light they used. Promise, it was much brighter than any standard 40 watt fluorescent bulb. Even a pair of bulbs can't produce the intensity and color they prefer. But to each his own. There is plenty of room for experiment in plant growing.

7. john82

john82 Member

Thank you very much for this post, it is very interesting...
    I haven't tried growing orchids ever yet, since i've heard so many stories about how hard it is and that they need very specific conditions to thrive.
    what you say here is interesting, i think i might try it- it's been a dream of mine to grow orchids so i should at least try!

Johnny from TheReefTank

8. photopro

Since you are familiar with keeping living corals healthy you'll find the use of similar lighting for orchids to be useful. The blue spectrum is of little value so you'll want to keep your bulbs in the daylight range but the idea of a stronger light source is basically the same. I've found high intensity compact lighting to be very good for orchids since the output is very similar to that found in a slightly diffused rain forest.

As for orchids being difficult, hardly! They just have specific needs just like your corals. If you have enough discipline to learn how to keep corals healthy, orchids should be easy! I've kept both for many years and have found many similarities in both disciplines.