Opinions about my Haemanthus please

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I have a Haemanthus albiflos that has gotten fairly big. It has 2 very large growths with 5 or 6 smaller pups. It is in a 9 inch, terracotta bulb pot, which it likes very much. Previously I had it in a deeper ceramic pot, and it developed root rot, so I switched 'er to this shallow pot and we are liking that very much. My question is that my girl is pushing out of her pot, and I'm torn between just going up one size or dividing it up. I have read that they can develop a serious pout after dividing, yet there seems to be some plants that should be divided once they get to a certain size. Any thoughts?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Hmm. Tough question! You want to do what's best for her...something must be done---but WHAT?! I sympathize! I would vote for repotting, en masse. Chester, I have faith in your botanical skill, and I think that either way all would be well. You know this plant, you know her personality, and I'm certain that you have a feeling for which alternative to choose. Go look at pots...perhaps one will present itself as albiflos' new home. Eureka!

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

The potting medium should be scraped of the bottom and add fresh soil. You may repot the pups at this stage, and most importantly, the appropriate time to do this is after blooming...

4. Chester

Right-O. Thanks you two. She is due to bloom and soon, so I shall wait for that. I'll knock her out of the pot and see what she does. Sometimes it all goes from there. Went outside today to see what kind of pots I have. There must be 40 pots out there, but never anything of the right size it seems.

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps this occasion merits a new pot!
    In any event, best wishes to you and albiflos. May all go well. Let us know!

6. Chester

Sure will. Thanks again.