Once a week gardening

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Estellar, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Estellar

Estellar New Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this forum. I just moved to a condo that doesn't have a garden. I signed up for my local community gardens but it's going to be years until I can get a plot. Fortunately one of my friends has a garden and might allow me to grow some things there. The only problem is that they live in vancouver and so I might not be able to visit the garden more than once a week. What sort of gardening plants/projects would you propose for the once-a-week gardener? Perhaps plants that don't need as much tending, watering or would do well with an aqua bulb/other self-watering item. Any ideas/suggestions?

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It is heartbreaking to think that someone like you, who wants to garden, should be deprived of the experience for years. In addition to solving your immediate dilemma, it may be worthwhile to advocate for more space to be made available for community gardens. Another avenue could be reaching out to homeowners who can not longer tend their vegetable gardens but don't want to see them abandoned . . . could be a win-win if someone like you could grow vegetables in return for supplying the homeowner with some of the harvest. To me, once a week gardening isn't nearly enough no matter what and how you grow.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  3. Estellar

Estellar New Member

How do I reach out to home-owners or advocate for more space?

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Estellar, good morning, I am very impressed that you want to do this, if only once a week.
    If it were me I would go down the vegetable or salad crop route. It can take up very little space and tending is a little weeding and watering once a week. The bonus is some lovely fresh food for the table that you can share with your friend.

Good luck with your new gardening venture.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I hate to advertise for a Web site, but nextdoor.com seems to be good for finding things close to your neighborhood; and it's free.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Search web with phrase "weekend gardening"

8. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Is there an independent garden Center nursery near you ? Go on and talk to them — even if you can’t garden today - put a word in - somebody will know something to help you toward your goal

Is there anything at the Colony Farm nr you? And the campus formerly known as Essondale.
    ———
    For me - I can grow Swiss chard year round in similar climate you have in PoCo - in a container on my deck

I like the West Coast Seeds from Ladner BC (they have a website)

One must check with the sometimes strict strata before embarking on containers on the balcony. Clutter - water - and weight must be considered

Maybe there is spare area at ground level that strata would allow - you can be the instigator !
    ——-
    I know a local school yard in our town that has a garden that people help at with permission approval fr school district of course

Often a senior housing residence has a garden and would in normal times welcome a volunteer

What about looking east to the Maple Ridge area - I would think an easier drive than forging on to Vanc

And for those in Vanc - what happens at what remains of the UBC farm near TRIUMF?

AND - one must also consider water restrictions in our usually hot dry summers - which might happen yet! As of July 23 that is!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  9. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Go to city hall and ask —- so right now - i
    that likely means a phone call or email

Also lots of towns have a central volunteering “clearing house” meaning they keep track of services that volunteers can provide in the community - so there might be a garden type category

Call city hall or explore PoCo website

Acerholic likes this.
  10. scilover

scilover Member

you should try to plant some plants that lasts longer without water. Or you should try the hydro-plantation since you only get to see your plants once a week.