Oddball seedling

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Maxwell77, May 1, 2015.

1. Maxwell77

Maxwell77 New Member

Check out this odd seedling I found. It's about a 4-5 years old tree now but was set apart and saved early. What it has been doing the past two years- is putting out flat "ribbon like" branches. It throws off in these multiple branch sets that are fused together and look like flat ribbons. Then later in the season, The growth becomes curly and wild... Does anyone know of any cultivars that put off flat ribbon like branches?

Attached Files:

2. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

Very different! I can't answer your question, but do you know what cultivar it's a seedling from? Does the color stay green like this?

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. Maxwell77

Maxwell77 New Member

Hi Andrea,
    Just a common green palmatum. I knew it was very odd very young. It was one out of about 1000 common seedlings which I grew and watched. I have never heard of any trees with a flat branch structure though. I'm kind of new to this and learning about things by myself. I was curious if anyone has seen a tree that branches like that... )

Attached Files:

• 414.jpg
      414.jpg
      File size:
      220.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Maxwell77

Maxwell77 New Member

This a picture of one of it's variegated sisters.

6. Maxwell77

Maxwell77 New Member

Thanks chimera!
    It does have growth similar to that. )

7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

It may be interesting to see how your tree develops and if some of it's characteristics are much different than Sekka yatsubusa.
    There is also a Cryptomeria japonica Cristata and a willow with the fasciated stems that florists like to use, something ... Sekka.... if I remember right.

8. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

AHA! Maxwell&Chimera....I've got a Seiun Kaku which I've had doubts about beiing correctly labelled as so far it hasn't had the curious horizontal branching with the leaves held above.I noticed last year it had fasciated stems and have been trying to find which cultivar had these(though they don't seem so promiinent now)...I knew someone had mentioned it here before.So perhaps I have a Sekka Yatsubusa?..whatever I have I like it already:)
    Edit: Just looked at the spring pic I posted and one branch is perhaps now looking correct for Seiun Kaku,but it did and may still have fasciated stems,I'll have a look tomorrow.

9. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Wow...those fused stems are wild. I didn't see what you meant at first, but when you look closely at the stems it's definitely very different!

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

'Miss Piggy', a new cultivar our of Boskoop is fasciated and curled (like a pigs tail). Personally I don't like it at all, the fasciation always makes me think of a sick plant... but de gustibus non est disputandum! :)

11. Maxwell77

Maxwell77 New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies! The other night I spent 4-5 hours reading about fasciation in plants. Very interesting stuff. I also found the Miss Piggy. I agree with you Emery. The Piggy also reminds me of a sick plant... Piggy cultivar status is more like a philosophical discussion. I will keep the odd ball seedling safe and growing strong to watch. )