NOID large pale green Cymbidium

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Nik, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

This is the largest Cymbidium I have (I guess they are called ‘standard’), a delicate pale green, flowers are about 12 cm across.
    Current pot and plant are together more than 1.5 m tall.
    Only 4 spikes this winter, and they are all in different stages of development. Several years ago was its best blooming (last photo), all flowers opening more or less at the same time.
    I successfully propagated it from backbulbs (old leafless pseudobulbs) by separating them, removing all dried remaining leaf matter, and placing them in a ziplock bag. Nothing else in the bag, just put it in a dark closet, at room temperature, and in a month or two there were small new shoots. Gave them all to friends after I potted them and when they became a decent size.
    About a month before buds start opening this winter.

Attached Files:

Margot, wcutler and Acerholic like this.
  2. Nik

Nik Contributor

Update for Jan 9 on the two most developed spikes. At least 3 more weeks before flowers start to open. Even though the flowers are very large, I rarely get more than 5 buds per spike for this one, typically 3 to 5 (only once I got 7). If anyone knows the name of this hybrid, I will be very grateful..
    I also learned that the sugary drops at the base of the buds and on the stem are the result of extra-floral nectaries, in order to attract ants for protection against other insects. Not very useful indoors.

Attached Files:

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Nik likes this.
  4. Nik

Nik Contributor

Wendy, this is it!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I have spent so much time trying to figure it out... But definitely, this is the hybrid, ‘Big Chief Kirawee’. Again, thank you so much!

5. Nik

Nik Contributor

Update for Feb 1, still nothing open but getting close. Buds are now about 5 cm long on the most developed spike. 4 spikes total, 3 with 5 and one with 6 buds.

Attached Files:

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Opening, Feb 4.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Great photos N, imagine a time lapse camera on this one!!? Either way it's beautiful.

8. Nik

Nik Contributor

The first spike is now all partially open. Still a lot of stretching and expanding for the flowers left. Quite cheerful on a cold February day when everything is snow-covered outside.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Nik

Nik Contributor

It is very hard to capture the velvety nature of the lip with a phone camera. This is the best I can do.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and wcutler like this.
  10. Acerholic

What a contrast to all the snow outside. So very colourful N.

11. Nik

Nik Contributor

Here is how most Cymbidium flowers fade. First picture shows a flower that is still in a good condition. The second one shows a fading flower that has just few more days before it drops.
    The colors of the lip start‘bleeding’ into the surrounding areas. For a boutonnière a flower in decline is perfectly fine (and some people may find them even better looking), but be aware not to purchase cut flower cymbidium that looks like that. Instead of weeks they will last only days.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

Good morning N, great information and stunning photos. What more do you need from a posting..