Nishiki Momiji

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Rhona, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Rhona

Rhona Member

I fell in love with this little maple at a nursery. Other than knowing it is an upright cultivar, I purchased it with very little information about its growth and habit. All my searches have failed to turn up anything consistent that could help me site this tree.

Before I found this forum, I planted it in a spot where it gets an hour of direct sun from 11-12, and then dappled light for the remainder of the afternoon. It's sited about 4 feet either way from the corner of my house on one side, and a gate into my yard on the other. I'd move it before it settled in if this will not be suitable.

Can anyone help me with information on its mature height and spread? Its sun tolerance? How high up the canopy will form? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The tree is not quite 2 feet, but I'd like to make sure now that it's in a place where it will thrive.

Many thanks,

Rhona
    Long Island, New York

2. Daniel Otis

Daniel Otis Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Rhona--

According to Vertrees and Gregory's "Japanese Maples," this cultivar can tolerate full sun. It's grown mainly for its fall color, which can range from orange to brilliant red. They say it will get about 12-18 feet tall; since they say it is upright, I doubt that it would ever get much wider than its height.

I think palmatum cultivars generally like some full sun to develop good color and afternoon dappled shade, so your site sounds perfect. If the plant begins to impinge on paths, it can easily be controlled by shortening or removing branches in winter. Fall color is generally best when trees are grown in more sun, but that also increases the likelihood of burning in July and August. Incidentally, I've often found that palmatum cultivars don't develop their good typical fall color until they've been in the ground for a few years.

If for whatever reason you don't like the tree's position in a few years, you can still move it--I've often moved palmatum cultivars up to 8' tall. The best (maybe the only) time to do this safely is in late winter, after the ground has thawed but before the tree enters active growth.

Hope this helps.

Dan

3. Rhona

Rhona Member

Thanks so much! All the information you gave me is very, very helpful. I've printed it out, too, so that I can keep it as a reference.

When I got the tree last spring, the leaves were tipped with red. It's in its summer green now, and I will patiently wait for the fall show sometime down the line.

Thanks again,

Rhona

4. Frank Byles

Frank Byles Member Maple Society

'Nishiki momiji"

"Nishiki" generally refers to a variegated cultivar and "momiji" simply means maple. Maple it is but I have yet to see one with variegation. However the bark will become very rough like a pine bark with some very deep fissures which make the tree very subject to breakage as it ages. Keep all snow loads off. Fall colors are brilliant and beautiful reds. Good for sun or shade but sun will bring out best colors. Tree will grow to 15 to 18 feet with as about as much spread meaning needs to be planted at least nine feet from structures to keep limbs from damaging structures.