Newbie Doo

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by moondreamer, Aug 8, 2005.

1. moondreamer

moondreamer Member

Just arrived on this forum yesterday. First one I've seen like this. Have been gardening for 10 years. I have gained more diseases and bugs than plants however. Seems like I just get rid of one thing and something else is here, or a new disease/bug arrives to join the rest. Someone once told me gardening is war. Now I know how true this is.

I'm mostly vegetable gardening. Have some flowers around. Bees scarce here due to a mite that has attacked wild bee hives. Hoping to pick up some more info and share what I know with others.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Moondreamer, welcome to the forums. At war with pests? Yeah I guess we are. Take a look through the Integrated Pest Management forum for ideas on how to deal with all the bugs and diseases. Personally I kind of just coexist with most of the pests, using whatever natural methods I can to knock them back. Most of the time they don't eat everything and when they do I grow something else. Sounds like you are growing alot of veggies, where losses to pests are more frustrating.

We look foreward to sharing with you Moondreamer. Good luck with the garden,

3. moondreamer

moondreamer Member

Some kind of wood borer has killed an apple tree, even tho I wrapped the trunk like the books said, a maple tree, a silk or mimiosa tree, and is working on a plum. My garden is small. My whole lot, with house, storage shed & carport is 5000 feet.

Also can't get rid of harlequin bugs, leaf hoppers. Even with covering the crop, leaf hoppers get in and kill my potatoes. I'm considering using poison. eiether that or cementing the whole thing over then sitting and watching the varmints die of starvation. lol