New wisteria

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by greta, May 31, 2006.

1. greta

greta Member

Me again:) We planted a wisteria last year and haven't pruned it because we like the way it looks, but we haven't got any flowers on it. It is a "flouribunda rosea". Any advice?

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello Greta,

Here is a link which describes some of the reasons as to why wisterias may not bloom. I came across one source which indicated that the juvenile period of Wisteria floribunda is two to four years. I am not sure how old your plant is (it depends on how much time it has spent in the nursery), however, it may simply need a year or two.

Raakel

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Greta,
    I agree with Raakel. It really depends on how old your wisteria is. And it depends on the variety and how it was propagated. I have air layered large branches that will flower within a year. The average size layered speciment takes 3-5 years for a W sinensis. But cuttings take at least 4-6 years and seed raised specimens likely 10 or more years. In general, you should expect to wait for 3-6 years for a store bought variety to flower, unless you pay the big price for the more mature specimens.

Other aspects boils down to correct pruning, avoiding exessive feeding and the adequate sun exposure, all information available provided in the link above.