Identification: New slip:pls help ID

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mrs. HoneyBear, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Mrs. HoneyBear

Mrs. HoneyBear Member

I just got this slip from a friend. She said that when she got the plant from which the slip came from, it was just a slip. Now it is HUGE and beautiful. I am very excited to start growing it so I need to know what it is and what I should be doing to ensure it gets a good start. It is a large leafed plant (they are about as big as my hand with my fingers spread out) it also has white speckles on the top of leave with a light red on the under side. I hope this is enough detail. I look forward to an answer and/or suggestion.

2. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi Mrs. Honeybear,

Hard to say without a photo, but white speckles and a red underside of the leaf makes a begonia hybrid sound like a good first guess. Does it look like this? If not, maybe you could tell us a little more about the shape and texture of the leaf.

Attached Files:

• beg.jpg
      beg.jpg
      File size:
      15.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Mrs. HoneyBear

Mrs. HoneyBear Member

Thats it thanks...

Wow Hungry Hippo I am impressed! I am sorry for not supplying you with a picture as my digital camera is in need of a new lithium cell. So now that we know what this is how should I go about caring for it especially in this situation. Looking forward to your reply,
    Mrs. "H"

4. Evelyne

Evelyne Member

Begonia Hybrid

It looks like Lettuce Leaf Begonia, Bambusiforme Begonia, Cane Stemmed Begonia 'Mary Ann Flunker'.
    I have it too and always wondered what it was. Mother plant is big and nice, but two smaller plants started dropping leaves. Does anyone have any ideas why?

5. identify my plant

I think that this is a trout leaved begonia, and you could look up care on google.com.