New Japanese Maple, Orange Dream?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by clorgan, Apr 5, 2021.

1. clorgan

clorgan Member

Yeah I had another look this aft at mine - it definitely got to a few of the leaves unfortunately but thankfully not too severe. I've moved the two in pots to a much more sheltered part of the garden for tonight, fingers crossed!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good luck C that's all you can do.

clorgan likes this.
  3. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

One of mine is about 10 years old and the other is a small tree probably 2 or 3years, completely different locations opposite sides of my house but both popped at the same time

clorgan likes this.
  4. Acerholic

There is no rhyme or reason at times with our trees, think that's why we love them so much.

clorgan likes this.
  5. dicky5ash

@Acerholic quick question D please..if buds are totally swollen and just bursting out are these at risk of frost damage like a new leaves?

6. clorgan

clorgan Member

Think I read that there's less risk when they're still buds, not sure about when they're coming out though... Sorry not much help but thought I'd try! Definitely wait for D to answer haha!

7. Acerholic

IMO R these are less prone to frost damage that new tender leaves are. But you are talking about the in-between phase, so it's a bit hit and miss tbh.
    I still spray them all, whether out or about to break out. You are sounding as nervous as I am tonight R.

clorgan likes this.
  8. dicky5ash

Thanks D. I’ve got a lot that are in that in between phase...yes am a bit nervous tbh

9. dicky5ash

The light dusting of snow we had had melted by 7pm and made them all damp so maybe that will help in the same way as spraying

10. Acerholic

Yes it will R, thats good news. Fingers crossed..

11. dicky5ash

It’s definitely 0 or below there’s frozen drops of water all over already

12. clorgan

clorgan Member

So I'm hoping for some positioning advise from you lovely people!

In that corner of the garden I'm thinking it could be a nice shaded seating area. Been looking at DIY pallete garden sofas. Still researching and pondering so will be a long ish term project, possibly ready for summer.

Attached several photos of the area and of the garden as a whole. I've plonked the tree there now for size reference. I'm thinking it definitely needs to be closer to the back fence than the garage. Possibly a corner pallet sofa along the garage wall (where the drainpipe is) and the side fence.

Would love your thoughts! It'd be quite nice to have some other plants in there too (possibly more JMs?!)

Very early stages of planning - I find the getting started from scratch part very difficult! Especially being fairly new to gardening.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

What a great blanc canvas C. First of all re your Orange Dream or Katsura, the golden rule is always morning sun and afternoon shade. Especially if it is Orange Dream as this cultivar is very sensitive to too much sun.
    Now if that corner where you have placed the pot does get morning sun and afternoon shade, I would place it in the corner so it will fill out the whole space in thT triangle, then you will get amazing colours from your window and in the Summer some privacy from the neighbours.
    Then you can place the sofa along the garage wall with a table between that and the maple etc and have a lovely tree to view with a glass of something, lol.
    IMO that corner is definitely crying out for a statement tree. But remember with the one you have purchased it will take a few years to fill in. But when it does you will never regret placing it there.
    Regarding more maples, it is very easy to get carried away with enthusiasm, but IMO, perhaps hold off until the Autumn to buy more to compliment this area, after you have sat and enjoyed it with friends etc etc and got a feel for what you might want to add.

Hope this helps a little C

Exciting times for you

D

Shin-Deshojo and clorgan like this.
  14. clorgan

clorgan Member

That helps very much - thank you!! Sounds a lovely plan and great info.

Definitely a blank canvas that we're slowly creating into our space. Attached photos of our progress so far (just for interest!) excuse the current mess in the last three! Also in there are two from one morning last summer, with timestamps. Only an hour apart - need to do this again properly to really gage the shade.

As you can see from those two photos, that area is mostly shaded, and I believe continues to be for the rest of the day... unsure what it's like before those times off the top of my head.

Sorry for the waffle!

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

That sounds good C, but also remember you can create shade with companion trees. Maples do well under other trees. Dappled shade etc etc. Gives a very pleasing aesthetic appearance also.

clorgan likes this.
  16. clorgan

clorgan Member

Brill great point, so you don't think it's too shaded then?

17. Acerholic

No not at all C . Some cultivars do well in full sun, ie the deep reds etc etc, but as a whole maples prefer more shade rather than less. Tbh I have never seen anyone complain that their maple has too much shade, but as I said other than those reds that turn green in the Summer due to lack of sun.

clorgan likes this.
  18. clorgan

clorgan Member

Amazing I thought as much - just wanted to check before I plant and figure it's not in a great place!

I do agree with you - a tree in that spot would be perfect and definitely distract the eye from the buildings. And like you said, eventually create a bit of privacy! I'm guessing it'll be at least 5 years before that point? But worth the wait for sure.

Cheers again for your great help, always really appreciated :)

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

About that time, but if it is indeed Katsura, then maybe earlier. I've never regretted planting Katsura and I don't think you will either. It says to us every March, 'SPRING IS HERE'.

clorgan likes this.
  20. clorgan

clorgan Member

Perfect, I really am loving the colours so far!

Sorry very very last question (for now haha!) been having a little play around positioning - is 60cm ish far enough away from the fence?

21. Acerholic

Thats not a bad distance at all, but remember the canopy will get bigger and so will go over your boundary even though it is an upright tree, now that's OK if your neighbours are amenable to this, but you may end up pruning and shaping. That again is OK and can be carried out in late June. But that is a good few years down the line. If it were me I would plant it a metre in from where the two fences meet in the corner. Sounds a lot but it actually isn't to give it the room it deserves.
    Hope that helps a little C.

clorgan likes this.
  22. clorgan

clorgan Member

That makes sense! Thanks again for your help :)

23. clorgan

clorgan Member

With the help from my brilliant Dad, it's now in the ground

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

Fantastic C, now watch it grow...
    Can I make one observation ? The trunk needs the soil removed from it otherwise you will get rotting over time and possible death of your lovely tree. I also would suggest removal of the turf around the diameter. Hope that has not sounded too judgmental.
    Great work by Dad btw.

D

clorgan likes this.
  25. clorgan

clorgan Member

He did a cracking job :)

Yeah I did question both these things to my dad, especially about the trunk. Went with what he thought in the end after his hard graft!

Can I ask the reasoning for removing the turf? And how much of it you mean?

Thanks for the help!