New functional Planter

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lisa Harry, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

So I finally got a new Planter for my “rescue tree” that I got last year. My carpenter friend made this for me based on my details. It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing planter but its highly functional, the simplicity will allow the tree to be the focus. I intend to root prune this tree and wanted to make life easy for me cause the maples really are my thing so I’’m working alone. The tree is taller than me already, I will keep it similar in size but likely I’ll allow the canopy to increase. It’s made of yellow cedar, finger grooves, has sleigh feet with handles (for dragging onto a tarp if I’m lucky) and best of all the sides are removable so I have a “table” to work on when exposing roots (trying to avoid lifting a heavy tree out of something). Let me know your thoughts/ suggestions etc., like I said I love functional so sometimes we gotta give a few things like gorgeous glazed pots, but I like it. It looks huge but its actually not too much larger than the blue pot isn’t he picture, however it is wider.

Attached Files:

ChrisUk, dicky5ash, Acerholic and 2 others like this.
  2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Wowww looks great..great design..will definitely help when it comes to access to the rootball..will you line the sides with plastic membrane to protect the sides and stop water pouring through and staining the side boards?

If you are inclined to get anymore made I would swap out the fixed boards in the base in favour of removable 1.5 1.5”bars with 1” gap between them that can be replaced easily every 5 years or so..as it is once those boards rot the box will fail..but I suspect you will get a good 10years or more out of it. Also the metal clasps..whenever I’ve seen these elsewhere they tend to rust very quickly..and I don’t know whether they will cope with the timber swelling in winter? I’m not being critical..just my thoughts

Lisa Harry likes this.
  3. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey @dicky5ash thanks so much. Totally appreciate ideas. I’ll look into the bar thing. Not sure yet about lining the box, I have garden planters of similar style that I don’t line and my dads partner has ones that she does and I think her box will last longer than mine. However my garden tends to produce better than hers, not sure if the two are related. It’s yellow cedar so it should last a while cause that’s whAt compost boxes are often made of here. The latches are brass so I’m hoping they will be ok regarding rust.

dicky5ash likes this.
  4. dicky5ash

Looks like good quality wood for sure.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  5. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Contributor

very in0vative!
    Perhaps line the inside and base with ground cover cloth as that will extend the life of the interior wood by a few years. Plus it will still allow for drainage. We generally get plus/minus 10 years out of our cedar boxes and that is without a liner.
    Really like the re moveable sides!
    Use that planter to accent your 5 star patio dinners seeing that you can slide it :)

maf likes this.
  6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Wow yellow cedar!

You know I would already be embellishing with twinkle lights

That is one lucky orphan foster maple ;)

7. dicky5ash

Wood pricing has gone through the roof here in the U.K. during the last 12mths, I gather a combination of Brexit, transport and demand going through the roof..
    For example I bought some 3m 4” treated softwood fence posts at £13 incl tax, last week £25 each!!

8. ChrisUk

ChrisUk Active Member

It looks really good!