Need Help with Sea Holly

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by tericuff, Sep 4, 2008.

1. tericuff

tericuff Member

Hi everyone,
    My niece recently sold her house and I took some of her perennials to save for her when her new house is completed. Her Sea Holly that I transplanted to my house doesn't look like it is happy with it's new surroundings. After a few days in the ground it has turned totally grey and looks like it is dying off. Since I have never had a Sea Holly I don't know what to do with it, any help would be appreciated. Some of the plant looks like it is turning brown. It was in full bloom when I took it out of the ground and I was hoping that if I cut it down now as if it was done blooming for the year it may come back next year. Hoping someone can help me.

Tericuff

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Probably a double whammy: a plant that can be difficult to transplant (without going deep and getting lots of root) moved while flowering (ie. shocked) combining with natural fall die-back. I'd suggest cutting it back and hanging the stalks to dry the seed. Don't know your zone, but it should be late enough in the season for you to harvest mature seeds. At the very least, you'll get seedlings if the main plant doesn't come back in the spring.

3. tericuff

tericuff Member

I am in Zone 4, thanks for your help. I will try it and hopefully it will not be a total loss.

Teri