Need help w my indoor tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by CAGgarden, Mar 10, 2010.

1. CAGgarden

CAGgarden Member

Hello- I'm new to the site and somewhat new to gardening. I have a balcony garden that is somewhat easy to maintain. But I have also just been given the responsibility of maintaining my company's indoor plants/trees. I just noticed that one of the plants/trees just developed a covering of brown "dust" on its stalks and the leaves are turning brown. The soil is also hard & crunchy, though I don't know if it was like that before. I don't know what kind of plant/tree it is- can anyone give me any insight. I've attached photos. Any help would be appreciated- thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Caryota urens, Fishtail Palm.

3. CAGgarden

CAGgarden Member

Wow- thank you. I'm looking at sites now for it's care.

4. blynb

blynb Active Member

If I may suggest. . .when leaves of my trees start to turn yellow like that I turn up the watering (i'm talking every day it looks even spongy dry for at least two weeks)
    also maybe get a couple of aqua globes to help keep up on the h2o I was skeptical when I first decided to buy a couple of them but now I have one or two in almost every plant I have. . .convenient - lyn

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You should have a look at the stems coming out of the soil. C. urens is a single-stemmed palm whereas C. mitis is a clumping palm.