Near Gyro Park - Victoria BC

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mattbc1991, Jul 11, 2020.

1. mattbc1991

mattbc1991 Member

Hi there. I am wondering what exactly these trees are. I saw a row of these trees planted outside townhouses near Gyro Park in Victoria. Plant ID tells me Gumbo-Limbo. A search of Gumbo-Limbo tells me they survive only until -1 and are tropical. They are a coastal tree, which would make sense for their location. One photo I just found on google street view, same location, unsure of the date.
    Hope someone has a sure answer for me, would love to see some more outdoors, are there any in Vancouver?

Thanks for your help EDB8BC7D-32D1-47E0-B547-B2A34BE08B00.png 01877166-1391-4A74-90FE-DB229DD545C3.png 4C161AEF-F5C6-44D7-BDFD-727C9A74F693.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2020
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

These are maples! Acer griseum, paperbark maple. The leaves are unusual for maple, but they probably have had the samaras (winged fruits) - some of them should. I'll get you the link to look up Vancouver locations in a minute. There are lots around. According to some rule, now that you know, you'll see them everywhere.

Silver surfer likes this.
  3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You can find Vancouver locations on this Vancouver Street Trees page at Street trees.
    Not all the data is accurate on this database, but these should be identified correctly.

4. mattbc1991

mattbc1991 Member

That’s great thanks! Didn’t realize there was peeling species like that

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning @mattbc1991 and welcome to the maples forum.
    Totally agree with Wendy, they are indeed Acer Griseum. These are very slow growing and now quite rare in parts of the world.
    Several members I know of on the maples forum are presently trying to grow these with varying success.
    Your photos are very welcome indeed, a beautiful and fascinating tree.
    Thankyou.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Most likely Acer griseum. A close-up of the leaves would settle the matter, but I strongly doubt Gumbo Limbo trees can survive and reach that maturity in Victoria...