Identification: Mystery Mold?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Foxdodge, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Foxdodge

Foxdodge New Member

Hi there!

A short while ago, I went on a little excursion in the woods (if you can call really them that) nearby and collected some infested chunks of wood, some mosses, some dirt, and some bugs to make a lil biome in a jar and see what happened. Initially, the jar was growing some A. pyxidatus (the fruit of which has since wilted away for now) and some A. auricula-judae (still going strong!) from separate chunks of wood. However, over the last few days, a real STRONG mold has grown on the barkside surface of a chunk of maple that I stuck in there. It looks like it might potentially be a Lichen or an Aspergillus to me, but I'm not certain. Anyone have any good guesses? Is it potentially the fungal component to a lichen that hasn't established yet?

And furthermore: is it safe to keep what you think it may be in an enclosed jar? I know with a lot of Aspergillus molds, you have to worry about mycotoxins and breathing around them, but this a very small, enclosed amount, and the jar will (likely) not be opened (inside the house at least). Anyone have any concerns?

Let me know what you think!
    ~A

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi @Foxdodge
    Interesting project!
    Possibly Trichderma cf. viride, re the colour & apparent substrate.