Identification: Mystery Jade plant cultivar

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I recently purchased a small Jade plant, which is a kind I have never seen before. It is similar in coloring to Crassula aborescens, but has deep reddish purple blotches on the leaves. The plant is not ill, although in need of some tlc, and the new leaves show the mottling more brightly, as would be expected. I have seen many cultivars of ovata or argentea, and a few slightly different forms of arborescens, but nothing like this. Any info would be appreciated.

Chester

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Does it look like a Dalmatian, or is it just speckled from being grown in full light?

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Mystery Jade Plant Description

Hey:

The jade plant has fairly large spots towards the node, and the spots converge toward the tip of the leaf so that the leaf is almost completely deep reddish purple. I have seen the variegated leaf forms of jade: green with white, green with yellow and reddish orange. My jades all change color somewhat with increase light ie. paler green with a bright red edge. This we know. I have never seen a jade with purple splotches. The new leaves have a brighter version, the older leaves a paler version, so it is truly an unusual form. I must say, I am rather excited.

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years