Mystery Geranium

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Anne Taylor, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Anne Taylor

Anne Taylor Active Member 10 Years

I have found growing in my shade garden a smalls Cranes Bill that has brilliant red stems and red tinge to the leaves. Is this a sport of Herb Roberts or an actual variety.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    yes, I have a lot of the "Herb Robert" - it is happy to spread around my garden and I think came to my home in a nursery pot (with a tree or rhodo)

not to worry - I find it is quite pretty in the ferns and hostas - and thankfully easy to manage and does not take over (like the "morning glory" or that japanese knotweed - like a bamboo that some people just dump on the side of the road or up in the back lane.)

here is a photo on someone else's website of the plant I am speaking of
    Red Flowers of the Lowland Pacific Northwest

Herb Robert Geranium robertianum
    How to Identify it: Red flower with 5 petals on a hairy stalk, leaves finely dissected, stems reddish and hairy.
    This is a invasive and spreading weed of roadsides and semi-open areas, although it can grow under shaded conditions. It can form dense growths and choke out native understory flowers which is why it is considered a noxious weed. The crushed leaves have an unpleasant smell, one of its common names is Stinky Bob. In fall the leaves turn an attractive reddish color. It begins blooming in April and continues through June, the flowers turn into a dry, pointed seed which explodes, scattering the seeds up to 20 feet away. The common name of this plant has many variations, the one I like best is that is it named after Robert Goodfellow also known as Robin Hood. (end)

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hello Cherry Blossom festival Wendy - gosh, don't our cherry blossoms here in Greater Vancouver BC seem so long ago now!
    we saw some really pretty ones down on "the flats" (ie southlands, where the horses are) while visiting someone down there in late April 2016.

re: your comment above - I am not associated in any way - just thought it was handy - if you also look at the thread recently about "getting rid of weeds" - there is a good comparison photo website from the SE USA (I agree, not our part of North America) - that might be helpful too. Good night now, the thunder-lightening seems to have moved on!