my recent additions

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mattzone5b, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mattzone5b

mattzone5b Active Member

A few weeks ago I went to Eastwoods Nursery and purchased a 1 gallon a.s.'autumn moon' and a 3 gallon a.p.'omure yama'. I accidently left these in a spot that got too much sun when I came home and they got leaf scorched a bit but I suspect next year they will turn out nicely. They had been greenhouse grown and weren't used to the sun.

I also got a 6.5' Seiryu from Home Depot for $53 which I was very pleased with. It needs some training and as you can see. I have staked it in many places and intend on keeping it in containers for as long as possible before putting it in the ground.

A.S.'Autumn Moon'
    [​IMG]

A.P.'Omure Yama'
    [​IMG]

A.P.'Seiryu'
    [​IMG]

2. Worthy42

Worthy42 Active Member

I would be interested to hear from the group as to whether the Omure Yama should be staked to establish a main leader, since it usually grows as an upright, weeping tree.

Great choices and nice plants!

3. paxi

paxi Active Member

while I can't speak from much experience or time with the tree, I have staked a main leader. I am trying to maximize the weeping effect, and I figure giving it height will give it a higher platform to weep from. I'll post a pic this weekend if I get a chance but it's not much to look at right now. The growth in the last year has been vigorous, but not necessarily vigorously upright.

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Sweet! Dude, that Seiryu was a steal!

K4