Monkey puzzle very sick

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by paul a oberman, Aug 26, 2019.

1. paul a oberman

paul a oberman New Member

I am in california and ordered this Monkey Puzzle online.

It was very small but grew quite well.

After it got to about half this size, I moved it outside. It continued to grow well.

At one point I began to see small webs on it. I think they were spider mites. I washed it in dish soap.

Then it began to get hot, which in california is pretty serious. There was some brown, but it didn't look serious.

I noticed that after some rain, the dirt didn't seem to dry and it was looking much worse. When it got almost this bad, I unpotted it and replaced the soil with fresh potting mix. There has always been drainage rocks on bottom.

Yesterday I moved it inside. I topped off the dead top, but didn't want to make any more cuts, until i had a path forward.

I am pretty sure it is too late, but what steps would you take in a last effort?

Also, what conditions should i try to maintain. eg. sun, soil moisture, etc....

i should have done this much sooner.... kicking myself

Attached Files:

2. paul a oberman

paul a oberman New Member

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks dead now, unfortunately. They don't like heat, particularly not when in a small pot where the roots can't get deep down to avoid it. If you want to try again with a new one, plant it in its final spot right away, and give it light shade during hot weather for the first few years until it grows deep roots.