Maples under Metasequoia

Discussion in 'Maples' started by conifers, Mar 1, 2007.

1. conifers

conifers Active Member

Re: Japanese Maple Bark Related Issues

Quick question: Will the Maples be ok if used as understory for deciduous fast-growing conifers such as a grove of Dawn Redwood? I'm asking in regard to winter sun where they'll be in pretty much full sun and with respect to winter chills in zone 5. They'll have a windscreen eventually as well.

Thanks for a heads up.

Dax

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Maples as understory

The different needs for the water it could be a problem, but whit sagaticy is possible
    alex66

3. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Maples as understory

Quick reply: yes

Gomero

4. conifers

conifers Active Member

What's the opinion of having palmatum's, shirasawanum's, & Japonicum's under deciduous Metasequoia for winter? Open and exposed area in the plains of Illinois and zone 5. I guess my question is whether the majority of damage is caused in summer or in winter. Winter I would presume as the leaves probably protect much of the bark/tree.

Thanks for re-inventing the wheel if you have too.

Dax

5. Andy

Andy Member

Dax, killing temperature for Maple roots is about -20deg C, I think you use Farenheit over there, extremely cold winds may cause some dieback on the finer twigs but to no detriment to the plant, just remove in spring. Being exposed may cause a problem if your trees are not getting enough moisture during the summer

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Dax,

I think you've hit the wrong thread, this is a sticker;

Gomero

7. conifers

conifers Active Member

Hi Gomero,

I asked about winter sun affecting the bark of typical Japanese Maples in my climate. I got an answer.

Thanks Andy-)

Dax

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(split two separate posts into different threads from a thread on a different topic. merged the two threads into this one, so that's why it reads a bit strange)

9. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I doubt that you would get a real "sunburn" in winter. The change in light as leaves drop is too gradual.

Sunscald, which is different, may occur to the lower trunk, but I wouldn't worry about it: and even less common when trunks are over 2" to 3" in diameter.

Bark discolors on Japanese maples in several regions - including Oregon where I'm at - toward the sun. It's not a problem. I figured that one out a couple of years ago. Bark toward the shade was greener, and toward light (including winter light) was off-color like grey.

Sometimes dawn redwood limbs are sturdy, but a few trees are weak. Keep up on pruning.

Japanese maples are brittle, and take bigger damage from falling limbs. Vine maple on the other hand, is much more flexible, comparable to how hemlock is much more flexible than brittle deodar cedar among evergreen conifers.

Vine maple does not take as much of a beating from falling limbs or broken limbs that dangle fast and hard.

10. Rima

Rima Active Member

The maples would die if watered the same amount as the metasequoia need to survive.

11. conifers

conifers Active Member

thanks for your response. Sorry about the confusion Gomero, everyone.

I'm a big conifer "buff" if you will. I plan to incorporate a lot of grafts of Maples into my landscape now however as I'm going to seven acres soon. Any of the common species of non-american Maples that I like, the japonicums, shirasawanums, palmatums - get sun-scorched here.

Personally I hadn't even considered that watering needs could kill the Maples. Never crossed my mind and I plan to allow the landscape to function mostly on it's own. That's not to say I wouldn't drag a hose to water a deciduous section containing rhodies, deciduous azaleas, and Japanese Maples as the bones of that part of the "conifer garden".

I'm new here and ask for opinions on this once again. The Metasequoia I had planned on spacing pretty far apart as to leave room for gardening below. I appreciate your input Rima.

Dax

12. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

With regards to Maples and Metasequoia, I believe the two have some overlap in their water tolerance. I know Silver Maple and Metasequoia can exist "in the same spot". Acer Palmatum. I also know I have a old Lace leaf (dissectum) Japanese Maple in the ground about twenty feet from a Ogon Metasequoia.

So IMHO Metasequoia will tolerate considerably wetter soils but on the medium tolerance end it overlaps the maples.

Far as gardening under a Metasequoia I dunno.