magnolia sieboldii seedlings

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by maggiec, Sep 13, 2007.

1. maggiec

maggiec Active Member 10 Years

I noticed 2 small seedlings under my m. sieboldii this year. One was in a dark corner under another plant so I transplanted it to a pot and moved it to a nice sheltered spot.

Question: how many years before these seedlings can be expected to flower?

I've had the mother plant for 8 yrs, during which it grew from a little stick to a good-sized tree. I can't remember if it looked like it was grafted.

2. Ota

Ota Member

I don't know how it is with Magnolia sieboldii but my 10 year old Magnolia stellata started with only one flower last year. With a plant in a pot it may take even more.
    If you already have some flowering tree you could graft your seedling one or two years later ...

Ota

3. Garden Prince

Garden Prince Member

I had a Magnolia sieboldii seedling for seven years and it did not flower in that time. I sold it through Ebay so I do not know if it has flowered yet.

Jim Gardiner writes in his book Magnolia's: A Gardener's Guide (Portland, Or., 2000) about the sieboldii species. He says "Plants flower young, from five years old" (p. 180) and it seems that he is talking about seedlings (and not grafts or cuttings) although I'm not entirely sure about this.