Magnolia grandiflora cutting/prop/container

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by cruxnc, Jun 18, 2012.

1. cruxnc

cruxnc Member

Is it possible to grow a cutting once rooted in a container for several years and then plant outdoors?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. cruxnc

cruxnc Member

That is a great start, but it doesn't have any information about whether the tree could be grown in a container and then in a couple years be transplanted into the ground. I want to take cuttings from a tree that is special to me before I move north for 3-5 years. When I return, I hope to have a farm and would like to plant two magnolias that I have grown as houseplant on the farm, but I don't know if this is possible especially with the grandiflora genius.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Grown commercially in containers. But probably not hardy in Boston.

5. cruxnc

cruxnc Member

Even indoors? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, if you want to keep it inside each winter and you have a suitable bright and cool location, with adequate humidity it should be possible.

This being a broad-leaved evergreen summer cuttings kept from wilting under a plastic bag would probably be the method that would be used on a non-commercial scale. Do web searches for magnolia propagation, magnolia cuttings etc. to see if you want to try it. Note that you want to zero in on evergreen magnolia propagation from cuttings, the deciduous kinds are handled differently.

7. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Hi,
    I think it would probably be hardy in your area. I know people who grow them in Niagara, Ontario. I've also seen them in Ithica, NY. Boston would have milder winters than them, I imagine.
    I'd plant it out in spring, in a southeast sunny exposure if possible, get some good growth, and wrap it (burlap) for the first winter. I'm sure it would work, albeit, might grow slower than down south.