Loquat Seedlings

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by ShearMe, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Searching around in my flower beds, I was surprised to find out that loquats germinate above ground! We have two large trees, and one produces too much fruit for us or the wild life to consume. I haven't heard much of this plant in the forums, and it'd be cool for everyone to know about these delicious fruit plants. I'm only sorry I don't have original pictures of the fruit itself!

Yes, the pics are blurry where I wanted it sharper, and yes there have been pics of loquats in the past... but not of sprouts, aye?

Attached Files:

2. Vina1

Vina1 Member

Hello Shearme,

We have a loquat in our back yard so I know what you are having there. Some of my friends like the fruits so I've been given them whatever amount they wanted. The seeds fall off and there came more loquats trees... :-) Squriels, sparrows love to visit my loquat for their lunch.
    I even know a lady who asked for the leaves and she boil them in water as tea as sleeping medicine.

3. Mudar

Mudar Member

i have 3 trees in my garden
    i like how it teast and like flawer
    this pic is from the last spring 2009
    IMG_2246.JPG

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Eriobotyra japonica.

I've had a few loquat trees over the years. The fruit is variable in taste. I've known people who prefer to eat them greenish with salt. I like them almost bletted, wrinkly and softer. I haven't eaten them brown and dead soft, just because of the ick factor and happenstance. Mostly happenstance. I'll sure eat Diospyros virginiana, North American native persimmon, that have splatted on the ground.

An old friend makes grappa from the loquat seed. Haven't had it, not so much a fan of grappa made from grape pips either.

It will reseed easily: sprouting through lawns, through dense shrubbery, and wherever the wildlife have carried the fruit. I think I have five on my property now, none fruiting yet because of dense shade and youth.

I wish more people were aware they are edible. Very attractive tree year round here.

5. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I've read the seeds are poisonous, but maybe your neighbor cooks them a special way?

I'd definitely recommend a loquat tree to anyone looking at their options. :)

6. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

As are cherry pits and wormwood, but they too are used in making of spirits. And like cherry pits, I'd imagine the poison would be a form of cyanide.

While one often cooks some sort of mash when making beer, wine or other alcohol, that's not always the case with fruit wines. If I recall correctly, grappa is like brandy in that it's a distilled wine. I've made plenty of wine, and I've played with distilling, but haven't made any sort of distilled wine.

Loquat seeds are quite large and hard. Can't imagine anyone chomping down on one.

7. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Mine aren't too hard, they are like a pistachio more or less. I did consider baking/roasting them until I was advised otherwise; the squirrels always leave the seed.