Looking for a guide

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Trevor Erikson, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Trevor Erikson

Trevor Erikson Member

Hi all,

One of my mentors from the UK is visiting in early November and I would love to take him for a "mushroom" tour somewhere around Vancouver. He is a Doctor of Chinese Medicine (as am I) and is an avid mushroom enthusiast himself. I have heard that we have a local version of the Ling Zhi (aka Ganoderma Lucidum) and I would love to show him some goodies like this!

I know it may be late in the season and that there may not be too much around, but nevertheless does anyone have any suggestions for a guide that can take us out for a couple hour tour on November 12th?

Cheers,
    Trevor

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Trevor,

November might not be too late, it really depends how the weather goes throughout the Fall.

The Vancouver Mycological Society and the Fraser Valley Mushroom Club run forays generally well into November. Nov 12 being a Thursday it is less likely that there will be a planned VMS foray that day, but perhaps a VMS member with expertise would be willing to take you on a foray that day. The VMS can be reached at info@vanmyco.com.

Also, the evening of November 5 in Victoria, the South Vancouver Island Mycological Society has a medicinal mushroom talk by the excellent Richard Winder. The November 3 meeting of the VMS, a speaker has not been announced yet.

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I'm finding very fresh G.lucidum at the moment...here further in the South. Not sure if that helps or not? Ours tends to grow on Oaks...live and dead. Good luck!

4. Trevor Erikson

Trevor Erikson Member

Hey thanks for the replies.

I emailed the vancouver mushroom society and am awaiting a reply. It is good to hear that we may still stumble across a few different species. I know that my teacher would love it.

I am so excited to learn that G. Lucidum grows in our parts. It has such a long history in asia. Does anyone know of any local first nations usage of this powerful mushroom?

Trevor

5. Frog

In this area it is Ganoderma tsugae or Ganoderma oregonensis. There seems to be some argument as to whether this is one species or two :-)

6. Trevor Erikson

Trevor Erikson Member

Interesting. I wonder how similar these are in terms of medical constituents. It is well known in Chinese medicine that even the exact same species will have different properties depending on where it was grown.

Hey Frog you seem pretty knowledgeable. Are you able to act as a mushroom guide for us? :-)

7. Frog

I strongly recommend reading Medicinal Mushrooms by Christopher Hobbs!

I was actually thinking of offering to send your contact info to Paul Kroeger or Terry Taylor or other eminent local mycologists.

8. Trevor Erikson

Trevor Erikson Member

Thank you.

I would love it if you pass on my contact info. (I tried to reply by private message but couldn't figure out how??)

My teacher is Dr Mazin Al Khafaji and he will be teaching on the friday, sat, and sunday, so thursday the 12th seems like the best day.

Cheers,
    Trevor

9. Frog

10. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

If ganoderma lucidum, black reishi, grows in Vancouver or on Vancouver Island, I've never found one.

Our local reishi is Ganoderma oregonense, Red Reishi, a beautiful red shiny mushroom that grows on dead Western Hemlock.

Ganoderma tsugae is often thought to grow here, but as it host is Eastern hemlock a diffferent tree species, that would be very unlikely, unless tsugae and oregonensis are one species as Frog says is believed.

When I find one of these I feel very....priveliged.

From what I've heard they are considered to be equivalents in TCM.

11. Trevor Erikson

Trevor Erikson Member

Thanks for that Fish Dr.

I have come across 4 different varieties of Ganoderma listed in the Chinese literature. G. applanatum,
    G. lucidum, G. sinense, and G. Japonicum. I haven't seen Tsugae or organese listed, but it would be interesting to see how similar they are in terms of medicinal properties.

12. Navarre

Navarre New Member

I am a little confused regarding the information in this thread and the accuracy/existence of the Ganoderma Lucidum in British Columbia.
    Is the Ganoderma Lucidum a native species to British Columbia and the Pacific North West in general as there is conflicting information in this thread to this point.
    Can someone clarify whether Ganoderma Lucidum can be found here?

Thank you, Michael

13. Frog

Greetings,

The unpredictability of mushrooms aside - no, we do not have Ganoderma lucidum in B.C.
    You can find it south of here I gather, I'm not sure of the most northernmost collection location.

cheers,
    frog

14. Navarre

Navarre New Member

Thank you, Mr. Frog

Greatly appreciated! ;)