let's say something about chinese plants

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by bud, Oct 30, 2005.

1. bud

bud Member

hi,I'm a graduate student of beijing forestry university, China, majoring in horticulture, and this is my first post. Because of bad english, I don't konw what to say about. Maybe somebody of you has ever been to China or know something about Chinese plants .so why don't we say something about it? Tell us your opinion about chinese plants,as well as your feeling of it.
    I don't know whether this post will comply with the forum's rule. If not, please delete it and I will find other subject to post later.
    Thanks.

2. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

bud What kind of Citrus trees do people grow in China I'm looking for the colder types, I think your English is very good! any eatable cold hardy plant or container type fruit would be of interest to me

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes Bud, you are welcome to post on the forums. This is a global forum, so we understand that English is not everyone's first language. Your English is good, so not a problem. China has a great history of horticulture and has introduced many valuable agricultural and medicinal plants to the world. We certainly welcome your contributions.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Eric, Citrus is one of the plants that is native to southern China. - Millet

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

There are plenty of Chinese trees grown in British gardens. Examples from the Beijing area include Pinus bungeana, Pinus tabuliformis, Juniperus chinensis, Platycladus orientalis, and many more. Also lots from other regions of China, particularly the mountains in the southwest (Sichuan, Yunnan) - these grow better here than trees from Beijing as the climate is more similar

6. bud

bud Member

Thank everyone here to encourage me. drichard12, I now residing in Beijing,a northern city of china. Because of the cold winter here, there are no Citrus trees which can grow in the open air.Just as millet has said that Citrus is one of the plants that is native to southern China. Even if it grows in northern china, the fruit is unable to eat and it must be grown in container.

7. gusanocomemuerto

gusanocomemuerto Member

Ni3 hao3. Are there any vertical climbing plant species like ivy that can live in Beijing?

8. bud

bud Member

你好。gusanocomemuerto, 我已经给你写了回信,请查收。 i use chinese to reply you. maybe you can understand it. i've replied your letter.

9. drichard12

gusanocomemuerto... I am interested in the Ni3 hao3 this is very interesting can we do a trade without breaking the law between the countrys I do not know Chinese. If you are interested in a trade into something that you are looking for I will try to find it here an ship it to you at no cost, if you are willing to do the same. Dale

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ni3 hao3 is roughly equal to "Hello"

As for woody climbers, there are many, though I'm not sure what might grow in Beijing. Perhaps Hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris? gusanocomemuerto, if you get the chance, be sure to visit the David C. Lam Asian Garden at UBC - woody climbers are some of the highlights of the collection.

11. drichard12

îò ²» »á ëµ ºº óï ¡£ ºü ±§ ç¸ ´ò èå äã ¡£ ôù ¼û ï£ íû ïâ ´î ôù ¼û µ½ äã ¡£ôù ¼û £¡

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd prefer if the conversation was in English, as a courtesy to the 90%+ of readers who would likely be viewing this thread.

13. drichard12

我已经给你写了回信,请查收。