Identification: Lepiota/Chlorophyllum Rhacodes (shaggy parasol)?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by sabetts, Nov 22, 2009.

1. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

Hi folks!

Walking down the street last night I happened upon what appeared to be a patch of parasol mushrooms! They were growing under a deciduous tree that I couldn't recognize. It had seed pods still on the branches and the bark was grayish and fairly thick with vertical cracks.

The spore print is white. No hint of green that I could detect. You can see in the pics that the stem stained reddish brown where I cut it. Bulb at the base of the stem. white gills. brown flakes on the cap with a smooth brown center. Large annulus with what I think are 2 layers to it. It smells a bit like green tea :).

I found it on the 3500 block on Quadra St in Victoria, BC if there are any locals who care to see for themselves :). There were about 10 more mushrooms.

Beautiful mushroom whatever it is!

-Shawn

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Hi Shawn,

Yes, Shaggy parasols. THey don't have any known mycorrhizal relationship with trees, but they eat fallen leaves and duff.

Quadra and Cloverdale, Eh ? The Other locals better make it over soon before I make it over for dinner ;)

The staining reaction you mentioned is a VERY IMPORTANT identifier. This year, Shaggies have been known to grow interspersed with the Toxic Agaricus preclaresquamosus. In the case of button-stage mushrooms, that staining reaction is the sure-fire differentiator. Also, depending on climatic conditions these usually dissimilar mushrooms can look almost identical, even when open.

I'll post photos in a few days when I get the appropriate camera cable here.

The first two pictures are of a patch of Shaggys that grew in the woods behind my house. THe ones that grow more in the open look like yours.

THe box of shaggys picked that day contained about six pounds, plus (Buried) a single 946 gram Prince Mushroom, the biggest I have ever seen.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

A reminder, Shaggy Parasols are delicious edible, but some people have an adverse reaction to them. If you've never eaten them, try a small amount first to make sure you are not one of the unfortunate ones. BTW, they are incredible oven roasted!

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

In case you are curious, the PNW Key Council key to local Lepiotas is here:
    http://www.svims.ca/council/Lepiota.htm
    and it also describes a few varieties of Macrolepiota aka Lepiota aka Chlorophyllum rachodes.
    cheers
    frog

5. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

Thanks fish dr! This is the first gilled mushroom I've tried to identify. I'm excited that I, in all likelihood, got it right :). Also thanks to to Frog for that handy key! Var. bohemica seems to match the specimen I found.

It seems the conditions are right for these mushrooms. Walking down Saanich Rd I found about 6 more under some snowberry bushes! And then another one under a row hedges a block later! Perhaps when I'm more confident in my mushroom ID skills I'll actually sample some :).

-Shawn

6. sabetts

sabetts Active Member

fish dr, I forgot to mention that the shaggies were on the west side of the street north of Cloverdale, in front of a house. You can't miss them! Enjoy!

-Shawn

7. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Thanks,

Exactly where on Saanich ?

I've got lots, Shawn, just kidding.

I wonder if the three varieties are distinct or are variations brought on by diet and environment ! ?

Just when I was trying to think less of violent tortures I could visit on taxonomists, I notice that the species name is rachodes for two varieties and rhacodes for the third. AARG!

The woods behind the house has flushed again. Hope I don't drown picking them.

They say turkeys can drown looking up in the rain.

I'll try not to look up.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009