Leaning on the experience of Seasoned BC Mushroom Pickers

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Joel Bolete, May 1, 2012.

1. Joel Bolete

Joel Bolete Active Member

I NEED to go on a mushroom forage. I am looking at places that are much farther away from me then I would normally go. I am located centrally in the fraser valley near maple ridge. I have some cherished spots that I have found chantrelles year after year in great abundance but i am now so elated to see the copious species of edibles found so close to my home.

I am specifically looking towards southern/mid/bc coast line. Gambier Island is the first spot I am searching on, Bowen island the second then we will find the sunshine coast. If you have something to add about the opposite way - Towards hope, agazzi, Harrison lake area, Chilliwack, etc. Please please please post.

Im not looking for your 'spot' I am looking for a wind to sniff regarding these areas and the experience of seasoned BC pickers that can let me know if it is HARD/MEDIUM/Easy hiking, types of species found and any other particulars that would be of benifet to me and my dog, like watch for grizzlies.

My heart aches to find a beautiful spot filled with fungi.

2. Joel Bolete

seriously? No reply? You bc pickers are tight wads. lol.

3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

how about ...

South Vancouver Island Mycological Society

4542 Rocky Point Rd
    Victoria, British Columbia, V9C 4E4 Canada
    web: www.svims.ca
    email: Kem.luther [at] sheridanc.on.ca
    Member since 1995 | Club Trustee: Jean Johnson
    Vancouver Mycological Society

101-1001 W Broadway Box 181
    Vancouver, BC V6H 4E4 Canada
    web: www.vanmyco.com
    email: info [at] vanmyco.com
    Member since 1987 | Club Trustee: Brian Didier

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Joel, for me personally, I did not reply because I figured that I either did not have the kind of reply you were interested in, or from another angle, your questions were too large or wide ranging for me to come up with a not-too-long reply.

I think MycoRob's suggestions are excellent: Mushroom clubs can provide you with direct interaction with experienced mushroom hunters, at forays or events where you can discuss these questions. It's also easier to discuss habitat and difficulties and so forth when one is out in the field and forest.

My own hunting interest is in all mushrooms: I hunt and enjoy hunting for edibles, but those are a small number, a small percentage of the several hundreds of species that I am hunting for. Also, I don't always collect mushrooms when I hunt: I find hunting to collect focusses the mind so beautifully in specific ways, that you can't see the forest for the trees so to speak: So to get the full variety of experience, I find hunting without collecting is also important.
    .... So places I like to hunt may not suit your purposes.

So to come up with a suggestion to add to MycoRob's: I'd recommend trying all the places you mentioned in your post: Make a point of noticing the tree species and habitat in the spots your check out, as this will help you with targetting the best locations for the specific species you are after. Get to know the lifestyle of your prey, as that kind of knowledge makes the best hunter.

I hope that is helpful,
    frog

5. Joel Bolete

Well, Hello again group!
    I wanted to say that I have had an incredible journey these past 2 years and have been to some incredible places through out the lower mainland. Including but not exclusive to; Buntzen lk, Stave lk (and all the hills and crannies surrounding), Weaver lk, Davis lk, and forestry roads in the maple ridge/mission area.

I have located 3 fields of Admiralus Bloletus, IMG_5364.jpg and a #$@!tonne of Golden Chanterelle fields. Chanterelles 6.jpg I found a patch of the most incredible purple cortinarus ever! dozens of velvety violet spires emerging from the thick green moss blanket. stunning. I even found a group of fruiting Helvellacea.
    IMG_5373.jpg

Im on the hunt for the KING BOLETE. and I have had no luck :(
    4 years and counting...

I would be happy to trade information if its not too much to ask of the community.

Happy Picking everyone!

6. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

For Boletus edulis you have to look fairly high in the mountains, around the edges of subalpine meadows. They will appear a few weeks after the fall rains start; but if the rains begin too late, they will not appear at all because it will be too cold by then.

7. Joel Bolete

Thanks Vitog. Ill put that info to good use this season. Ive got some spots in mind already!
    Curious, any details as to ft elevation?

8. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Try any elevation where heather meadows grow, but scattered trees or clumps of trees are still present. The B. edulis are associated with a particular tree species, but I'll leave that detail for you to figure out. In a good year (when the rains come early) they will appear at lower elevations, but such years are relatively rare. Last year was pretty good over a fairly wide range of elevation.

9. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

You might find the Coquihalla, heading out from Hope, places you within hiking distance of some likely sites....some very likely sites....