kiwi vines

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Unregistered, Sep 24, 2003.

1. i live in abbotsford and would like to know how to plant a kiwi plant/vine. i know there must a male and female, but can you plant them together or a few feet apart. is there more than one variety thanks

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you are talking tropical (New Zealand) style kiwi, yes they can be grown in the lower ainland with mild winters. They are a fast growing vine with large leaves and yes, male andfemale plants. There are a number of female varieties available with limited male varieties. Most retail nurseries will carry these plant. As for the 'Hardy' kiwi, there is also male and female, but, there is a self fertile variety called "Issai" also. again, these should be available at your loval nursery or garden center. In abbotsford try Cannor nursery, talk to Dan.

3. mderrington

mderrington Member

I have an artice kwi vine that is in the wrong place. I have to move it. When should I cut it back and when could I move it to a more suitable location..It is just two years old, but is quite vigorous.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Move when leafless, preferably in autumn. Cut back only to facilitate transplanting (make it more portable).

5. Pat

Pat Member

I have a 13 year old Kiwi vine, Male and female. This year the female has lots of fruit but they are still very hard. I have been giving it plenty of water during the summer. Is there any way to ripen the fruit? Pat

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fully sized-up Actinidia deliciosa fruits can be stored cool, brought into warmth to ripen as needed.