Just some new photos of the Exotic Rainforest atrium in NW Arkansas.

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by photopro, Nov 10, 2009.

1. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Some people just don't believe tropical plants should be watered in the winter. The atrium looked pretty good today so I thought I'd share the experience of what happens if you refuse to believe that advice.

The first is the south walkway as seen from the back door of the atrium.

The second is the pond as seen from our park bench

The third is the only older photo which was taken last February showing the main walk from the south end.

The last is the main walkway as we see it from the kitchen door.

I recently asked why people don't like to water their tropical plants in the winter and thought I'd show you the results of plenty of water all year round. Sure, we water less in the winter but we never stop the water. Just look at the photo taken last February. I welcome your response here: http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=58722

Too bad you can't hear the rain forest birds and the Ecuadorian pan flutes that play in the atrium all day long. You're welcome to visit anytime you find yourself in Arkansas! There is never a charge!

And no, the walks don't lean. That's just the effect of an ultra-wide angle lens. If you'd like to see more just visit this page: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/atriumentrancelarge.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  2. hydrophyte

hydrophyte Active Member

Those are awesome pictures Steve. I don't think that I have ever seen color pictures of your atrium. I hope that I can visit someday.

3. photopro

Anytime! We welcome guests all the time and are often shocked at how far people travel just to see our little "botanical garden".

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

as fabulous as the pics are, i'm sure they don't do the atrium true justice...would have to see it in person to be sure.

i may just show up one day - with all my ferrets in tow. boy! they'd have a BLAST running around in there!! ;)

5. Nath

Nath Active Member

Wow photopro that looks fantastic, I love the Alocasia you have there and is that a tall Strelitzia i see in one of the pictures? Thats just what I have wanted to do to my conservatory and I partially succeeded before the wife put her foot down and said enough.

Thanks for sharing that and I completely agree with you about watering in winter, I still do it and feed my plants too and as long as you are careful everything thrives.

Nath

6. photopro

Yes Nath, we have cut down at least nine Strelitzia because they were literally trying to raise the roof. We still have at least four left. We have Alocasia odora that easily reaches 12 feet in the spring and I added an Alocasia robusta that should be up to at least 15 feet by next summer.

In total we are growing close to 300 species, most of them aroids. Dr. Croat has advised us we have one Anthurium in our collection that he previously thought to be extinct and has never seen in the wild although there are dried specimens in the herbarium at the Missouri Botanical Garden. I have taken a division to give to the Missouri Botanical Garden for their collection.

He has helped me to figure out that at least one of our nearly 100 Philodendron specimens may be the only known plant of its species known to be in a collection and another we acquired at the International Aroid Society show in Miami last September is almost certainly a totally new species despite the fact it was being sold as a fairly common plant.

That's why I find it absolutely amazing when people say "tropical plants shouldn't be watered in the winter"! We water just as if they are in the rain forest and as a result are learning a great deal about our plants as they grow into their adult sizes. I keep trying to help people understand that much of the commonly offered advice about tropical species (especially about light and water) simply isn't good advice and hopefully I'll finally be able to help people figure out how to properly care for their plants. It is an incredible joy to see plants grow as Nature intended.

Joclyn, bring the guys anytime! We have at least 30 to 40 visitors each month that come just to see the "rain forest" and we'd really enjoy having you join them. I just answered an email to four ladies that want to visit Saturday morning.

My phone number is at the bottom of the homepage of my website. Come anytime!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Truly beautiful, Steve. Thanks for sharing.